160,000.. Overheating with water under passenger seat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 160,000.. Overheating with water under passenger seat

jamesh1985
10-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey, I've had a overheating problem for over a year now, first there was the sludge in the tank, so i drained the system and it didnt help, well after a year of poor care its getting bad, i have water spots on my carpet under my passenger seat and some behind it, and i know my car is not leaking, I am installing a new thermostat tomorrow, I've flushed my coolant and heater core today, all went fine. Anyone know why i get water spots under my carpet, hopefully its my thermostat, the water pump does not tick but i do hear the girguling sound from the dash. The temp doesnt rise unless its at lights usually, and it can get up to 260, also the tank seems always dry and every cap i get for the tank breaks :P

thanks, i know its alot of info but if you can help please let me know

James

jamesh1985
10-13-2006, 06:31 PM
oh, and i think my fans only come on if i turn the ac on, even if its over heating

99GTCoupe
10-13-2006, 11:46 PM
jinkies, what did you do to it?
j/k anyways, I wouldn't think that the water in the car would have anything to do with your coolant system at all.

Anyone help here?

Sprucegagt
10-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Sounds like a heater core gone bad. You'll have to take the cover off the bottom of the HVAC unit and look at the core itself to be sure. It will be obvious if its leaking.

jamesh1985
10-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Sounds like a heater core gone bad. You'll have to take the cover off the bottom of the HVAC unit and look at the core itself to be sure. It will be obvious if its leaking.

Someone said it may be a heater core, so i flushed it, i dunno if that helps, i'm not to savy with cars, but i will try that tomorrow.,.... Would that be the reason for heating prblems for a year now as well?

Sprucegagt
10-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Someone said it may be a heater core, so i flushed it, i dunno if that helps, i'm not to savy with cars, but i will try that tomorrow.,.... Would that be the reason for heating prblems for a year now as well?

Flushing the coolant system won't do anything to fix it and it could be the source of your overheating problem.

jamesh1985
10-14-2006, 01:36 AM
Flushing the coolant system won't do anything to fix it and it could be the source of your overheating problem.

Thanks, so today now I'm gonna replace the thermostat, any recommendations on which to get, i have both Advance and Autozone, and pepboys here. One side note... taking the heater core tubes out i broke the plastic piece that holds it on, any idea what its called?

I'll also find the hvac thing and open the bottom thing you said, the water is under the passender seat and where your heel would be if you sat in the back passenger seat. Everything i am doing is from reading the forums because i know nothing about cars, but its fun to learn now :P Kinda funny how i just paid this car off a month ago too Guess thats how it works.

digitalballz
10-14-2006, 04:55 PM
yeah heater core is leaking dude!!! you need a new one!! I never replaced one in a grand am, but there usually not very fun in newer cars!! I like !!

jamesh1985
10-14-2006, 05:35 PM
could it be that the heater core was leaking because my thermostat was bad and the car was overheating, it could have got hot and the extra pressure . Plus it just smells kinda moldy, not like refriderant, if it was leaking it would be refriderant right. Now i think i noticed the smell of the water after it had rained pretty bad but i cant remember, anyways, I've replaced the thermostat, new air filter plus what i did in the first post, i'll let ya know how it goes.

badboy2451
10-14-2006, 07:07 PM
im banking on the heater core. my dad and i just replaced the one on his truck and when we pulled it out, it showed no signs of being bad but we still replaced it and the truck has been running great ever since.

have you been losing coolant as well?

also...there is a tsb about water on the passenger side floor

#83-11-15 WATERLEAK - FRONT PASSENGER FLOOR (RESEAL PLENUM/COWL - (Oct 1, 1998)

has it ben raining where u live that would give a reason for water being in the car at all?

digitalballz
10-14-2006, 10:50 PM
could it be that the heater core was leaking because my thermostat was bad and the car was overheating, it could have got hot and the extra pressure . Plus it just smells kinda moldy, not like refriderant, if it was leaking it would be refriderant right. Now i think i noticed the smell of the water after it had rained pretty bad but i cant remember, anyways, I've replaced the thermostat, new air filter plus what i did in the first post, i'll let ya know how it goes.

Quit changing your story!!:banghead

tommy00gt1
10-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know where you can find out all the TSB's, and/or recalls for our Grand Am's ? Been google searching; can't find it...... Thanks !

Sprucegagt
10-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know where you can find out all the TSB's, and/or recalls for our Grand Am's ? Been google searching; can't find it...... Thanks !

Completely off topic. Not to mention there is an entire section of the site dedicated to just TSB's, recalls and warranty info. :banghead :nono:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21