can i replace my damaged rearend with an alero rearend? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : can i replace my damaged rearend with an alero rearend?

james.c.cain
10-15-2006, 07:01 AM
I am in somewhat of a bind and i am looking for help. i have a 2000 grand am GT over here in germany. i am in the military and just returned from afghanistan. while i was gone, my wife wrecked my grand am while i was there in afghanistan. the entire rearend was destroyed during the single car accident. as you can guess, parts are a bitch to find over here. if i try to order through a GM dealer here in germany, they want to charge me over 3,500$ forthe rearend! they are very few junkyards here as well and i have not been able to locate any grand am at all. i read that the oldmobile alero was almost identical to the grand am. does anyone have any info on this?

DrFabulous
10-15-2006, 07:13 AM
It won't work. You'd have to get a rear bumper, tails, and trunk from an Alero, and then still have to do some body work to get it all to fit right.

GA:
http://aftermarket-unlimited.com/shop/images/products/thumb_165N%20GRAND%20AM.jpg

Alero:
http://www.dillows.com/2002_alero_rear.JPG

james.c.cain
10-15-2006, 07:17 AM
sorry, i meant just the actual drivetrain assembly. there was nobody damage to the car somehow.

jackal2000
10-15-2006, 08:16 AM
ummm im fairly certain that there are no drivetrain parts under the rear of the car considering its FWD. maybe you mean suspension?

DrFabulous
10-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Oh, the actual suspension and what-not. Yes! Alero parts will swap right over, provided your Grand Am is a GT model with rear disc brakes. Aleros have rear discs, GAGTs have rear discs, but GASEs have rear drums.

james.c.cain
10-15-2006, 10:58 AM
thanks alot man. sorry for the confusion. i am no mechanic so forgive me. anyway, hopefully i can find an alero somewhere here in germany.

LoboMan7409
10-15-2006, 01:16 PM
thanks alot man. sorry for the confusion. i am no mechanic so forgive me. anyway, hopefully i can find an alero somewhere here in germany.

Yeah but you better look for the top end Alero, I herd a lot of things are different between a GT and and SE GA but I am not sure about top end and bottom Aleros. But there are a few aleros on here, try asking them.

DrFabulous
10-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah but you better look for the top end Alero, I herd a lot of things are different between a GT and and SE GA but I am not sure about top end and bottom Aleros. But there are a few aleros on here, try asking them.

Not that much is different between Aleros and GA's..... mostly cosmetic stuff. Body panels, interior panels, etc..... And the only real differences in base vs fully loaded Aleros would be wheels, interior, spoiler, and the base Alero's have the 4-cyl standard. Engine, suspension, brakes... all the same. Is there any specific parts you're looking for?