Question about a Nasty Smell Coming From the Vents [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Nasty Smell Coming From the Vents

SwatZeR
10-15-2006, 08:29 AM
I recently brought my car (2000 GAGT) in for service and asked them why my car smelled moldy. I don't smoke in it and yet I have a car thats 6 years old and smells like something is rotting inside.

Does anyone have any reccomendations as to how I can resolve this nasty scent in my car?

lone_wolf025
10-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Could be something as simple as a clog in the evaporator drain causing water and mildew build up. Have that checked out and check the vents up by the windshield (the outside ones) and make sure they're clear since thats where the air is drawn in.

Rogue9
10-15-2006, 12:13 PM
go buy that vent cleaner stuff in a can.
u gotta spray it down each vent and let it sit, then turn the heater on full and blast it for a while.

There's stuff that's stronger, but it requres drilling a hole at the lowest point in the vent system, filling it with this cleaning foam, and letting it all drip out.

LoboMan7409
10-15-2006, 01:11 PM
go buy that vent cleaner stuff in a can.
u gotta spray it down each vent and let it sit, then turn the heater on full and blast it for a while.

There's stuff that's stronger, but it requres drilling a hole at the lowest point in the vent system, filling it with this cleaning foam, and letting it all drip out.

Yeah I would start with what is the eaisest then work your way up, anyways its not too bad of a problem

digitalballz
10-15-2006, 04:46 PM
There is some stuff we use you spray it in the drain tube underneath the car. That stuff works great, I cant think of the name of it right now, but i will find out 2morow

Rogue9
10-16-2006, 12:15 AM
hey where's the drain tube??
I was lookin for it. couldn't find it.

pyro
10-16-2006, 06:37 AM
you dont need cleaner...it happened to me once...just drive around for 10-15 mins with the heater on 5.

williamGT
10-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Okay, Before I went on my vaction to Jasper, Red deer and Edmonton Alberta..My car did not stink. But when i was driving there I have my A/C on...by the time i went to edmonton my car stinks really bad..So your anwser should be dead bugs on the rad....when i had my A/C on i saw parts of bugs comming thow the vents.....LOL.

SwatZeR
10-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I checked my rad and its fine, so I am led to believe that there must be mold in the vents.

Gonna try the spray thing and hope that it works.

Thanks guys!

HamiltonAudio
10-19-2006, 04:17 PM
the product is called NuBlast - its a coil cleaner used in general HVAC repair designed to kill and remove the mold and mildew growing on wet HVAC cooling coils...... My old 94 Cavalier had air, but it hardly blew at all and smelled moldy - mechanic pulled the blower cover off, hosed down all the components inside with this can of aerosol (with a tube on it to aim) and let it all drip out....

the vents smelled lemony fresh for a LONG time....and the air blew ice cold and strong again. :) I bet money this is your issue....

bmoney