SLP Vs. Borla & CAI [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SLP Vs. Borla & CAI

Devo
10-15-2006, 01:34 PM
OK, so I know there are hundreds of threads out there with this topic or similar, but you still can't find a clear cut choice. So, here are my few questions.

1) Which is better, the SLP Cat-back or the Borla system. I know Blora costs more, alot more, but that don't matter, I got the money to spend on either so what do you guys think gives the best power increases.

2) I'm looking at the Doctorspeed CAI as it seems their shipped reasonably fast, is this CAI the best available for the GAGT. I wish K&N would hurry up and make a whole induction kit. If there are any other CAI that are worth my researching then post them please.

Devo
'03 Grand Am GT SC/T - Black

Gizm0815
10-15-2006, 01:39 PM
check out mp racing one of out sponsors mark (lvemy3100) had developed a intake which i believe is still cheaper than the doc speed one. as for exhasut go slp for the cost unless you want a quieter sound then go borla also the piping on the borla is not as large as slp so you will probably see a slightly better gain with the slp. this is the same info you will come up with a search there is no better or worse answer.

LoboMan7409
10-15-2006, 02:09 PM
What I did is I got a custom made full exhaust, 2.5 inch piping, flowmaster muffler AND a hi flow cat which alone will give more power than just the cat back. About intakes this sounds cheap but I got mine off of eBay, it is the EXACT same thing as Dr. Speeds but I got mine shipped for about 118. If you dont want the Ebay one I would say go with MP racing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-04-GRAND-AM-Alero-V6-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-3p-K-N-F_W0QQitemZ230036715517QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38634QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lvemy3100
10-15-2006, 02:21 PM
http://www.unitedmalibus.com/mpracing/stage3intake.html

to place an order please email mkpracing@aol.com

lvemy3100
10-15-2006, 02:32 PM
What I did is I got a custom made full exhaust, 2.5 inch piping, flowmaster muffler AND a hi flow cat which alone will give more power than just the cat back. About intakes this sounds cheap but I got mine off of eBay, it is the EXACT same thing as Dr. Speeds but I got mine shipped for about 118. If you dont want the Ebay one I would say go with MP racing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-04-GRAND-AM-Alero-V6-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-3p-K-N-F_W0QQitemZ230036715517QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38634QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FYI- the intake you posted uses steel pipes and both the MP Racing and Dr. Speed use aluminum pipes... so it is the same as the DS intake otherwise but still not the same as a MP Racing (diff couplers, clamps, and filter).. not a bad find I guess

Devo
10-15-2006, 02:59 PM
The MP Racing comes with a Genuine S&B Power Stack Inverted Cone Filter, i've never heard of S&B what is it and are they better than K&N? Would an Inverted K&N be better and is it even possible to switch to a K&N?

Devo
10-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Also for the exhaust systems. Anyone got audio clips of the Borla and SLP exhausts?

Gizm0815
10-15-2006, 04:18 PM
http://exhaustsoundclips.com/phpbb2/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=42

click the one you hear and then on the next page at the bottom theres a link that plays the sound file.

has a few different exhasut setups these are all on the 3.4l engine

williamGT
10-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Also for the exhaust systems. Anyone got audio clips of the Borla and SLP exhausts?
here is a sound clip of my 2002 GAGT Borla W/O the resonator.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8510171809152568306&q=grand+am&hl=en

and here is an SLP sound clip witch I found on google.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4071917374887972435&q=grand+am&hl=en
for any other questions use the search bar to find SLP vs Borla. and same with the CAI....no need to start a new thread.
So fYI....thanks

DrFabulous
10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Power wise, you will not notice a difference from SLP to Borla.... Unless you are doing some other mods to the car. (if you are, go with SLP, cause it's 1/4" bigger than Borla) There's also no difference from one decently made intake to another. Sound wise.... SLP has a little more rasp to it than Borla.

lvemy3100
10-15-2006, 07:11 PM
http://www.sbfilters.com/

Ajaxus
10-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Power wise, you will not notice a difference from SLP to Borla.... Unless you are doing some other mods to the car. (if you are, go with SLP, cause it's 1/4" bigger than Borla) There's also no difference from one decently made intake to another. Sound wise.... SLP has a little more rasp to it than Borla.

There's also a bit of the drone to the SLP which can get annoying on highways (i say this before putting in several hundred miles tomorrow in the longest trip yet since getting mine on) so that's one thing to keep in mind.

I can't say I read all of the posts here, and I also can't say my next point has been proven yet by any dyno's (might've been but I haven't seen it yet) but the word on the street is that the SLP loses a decent amount of low end power whereas the Borla does not. How much I don't think has been posted yet.

lone_wolf025
10-15-2006, 08:31 PM
My opinion for intakes is just to go with MP Racing. I've got his CAI on my car and I couldn't be happier.

As for exhaust my thought would be to go custom rather than catback. It'd probably cost more but like LoboMan said you're going to get more results from it.

-edit-
There's also a bit of the drone to the SLP which can get annoying on highways (i say this before putting in several hundred miles tomorrow in the longest trip yet since getting mine on) so that's one thing to keep in mind.

I bet its the same drone I notice from my cutout... It's probably due to the displacement and number of cylinders our engines have...or thats my thought at least...

cmoore
10-16-2006, 06:45 AM
Have had SLP for about a year and I have to agree that on the highway and when accelerating it is quite loud, but still worth it.

My impression is that I have lost some low power when it was installed, but seemed to pick up a bit of top end. My car is stock except for K&N drop in filter.

Only complaint I have with SLP kit is that it has been hard to keep it from hitting suspension over bumps. I have added some exhaust strapping to help hold it in position, but I will have to take it into exhaust shop to add some proper bracing.

lastyear4gt
10-16-2006, 08:18 AM
I have the Borla exhaust. I have had no problems with it hitting the suspension at all. Even after putting longer hanger rubbers in to lower it from the SC/T rear valance. Borla is a nice tuned exhaust. Very noticeable when you get on it and barks loud when you back off, but good to cruise with at highway, you just barely know its there. Keep in mind if you add CAI, headers or any form of forced induction, any exhaust will get louder. I noticed when I changed the Borla tips the exhaust got slightly louder again.

williamGT
10-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Have had SLP for about a year and I have to agree that on the highway and when accelerating it is quite loud, but still worth it.

My impression is that I have lost some low power when it was installed, but seemed to pick up a bit of top end. My car is stock except for K&N drop in filter.

Only complaint I have with SLP kit is that it has been hard to keep it from hitting suspension over bumps. I have added some exhaust strapping to help hold it in position, but I will have to take it into exhaust shop to add some proper bracing.

Thats so true. My friend I met on my vaction, he's got a 2002 GAGT I went out for a ride with him and his SLP ehaust was hitting the rear suspension......Do all SLP cat backs do this?

pyro
10-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Thats so true. My friend I met on my vaction, he's got a 2002 GAGT I went out for a ride with him and his SLP ehaust was hitting the rear suspension......Is DO all SLP cat backs do this?
no, is a mounting problem...any exhaust can do it, one of my friends has borla and has it mounted wrong and it hits.

pyro
10-16-2006, 11:07 AM
I want to make my Grand Am faster, what do I do? FAQ. (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57039)

Nuff said...theres plenty of info on all your questions. Its personal preference...if you want to spend more, get borla, if you want slp, get slp.
/thread