Change oil ligh has not come on for 7K [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Change oil ligh has not come on for 7K

00blackGT
10-16-2006, 03:23 PM
My change oil light has not come on in about 7K. I know the light works because it comes on when i start the car..Should i be worried about this?

Mike Jung
10-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Need more information...

What:
type of oil ? (like: Brand, Model, Grade)
are the spec's on the oil ? (like: ACEA A1, API SM, GF-4, etc...)
type of driving daily ?
length has the oil change interval been before & now currently ? (time since last oil change, hours of engine running on the current oil)
type of oil filter used ?

Do you idle the car alot ?
Are you always suck in bumper-to-bumper traffic & don't drive very fast every ?

Are you experiencing any LIM leaks or engine coolant loss ?

Etc, ...

pyro
10-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Detective Jung FTW

jackal2000
10-16-2006, 04:34 PM
if you need a dummy light to come on to let you know to change the oil somethings wrong with you.

drumking1721
10-16-2006, 05:40 PM
^^^ what he said x50

Mike Jung
10-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Ok, to all the smart asses,

When was the last time you did a "Used Oil Analysis"; to "know" how the oil is doing & to determine the oil change intervals ?

Or do you change your oil every 3-months lol ;)

This is not a stupid question ? :rolleyes:
(Without knowing the variables.)

For example:
It could be all highway driving.
That would = only 127 engine hours on the oil (based on 7K miles at 55 mph.)
& he could using Mobil 1 EP oil.

Now GTFO.

onesexyga
10-16-2006, 08:42 PM
my change oil light has gone off like once in 13,000 miles. I just change it when i think i should based on time, milage, season, etc.

drumking1721
10-16-2006, 09:02 PM
i change mine every 3000...dont care if city or highway...i just do it yoooooo

timberwoof
10-16-2006, 09:10 PM
If its regular oil like Castrol GTX 10w-30, then you might think about 3000 miles, but if its full synthetic like Castrol Syntec 10w-30, then its anywhere between 5000 - 7000 miles, depending on how hard you drive. I wouldn't recommend going past the 5K mark, but it can be done. I've taken mine to 6500 and saw a reduction in MPG. I didn't see anything wrong with the engine and the oil was still carmel, dark, but not BLACK. I wouldn't recommend it. Mobile 1 is also a good brand, and there are different mileages for it. The best oils, out there that I know of are Royal Purple, and Greddy. Now Greddy has different application depending on turbo or N/A, Mileage, at age of engine. I recommond those for higher HP cars. Those are some that the racers are using.

Phuxed
10-16-2006, 09:49 PM
this reminds me, i think i might need to change mine soon ;crap

Sprucegagt
10-16-2006, 09:50 PM

When was the last time you did a "Used Oil Analysis"; to "know" how the oil is doing & to determine the oil change intervals ?

For example:

Now GTFO.

Man speaks the truth. Unless you have done a UOA on your oil. Then most likely your throwing your money away every 3,000 miles.

99GTCoupe
10-16-2006, 10:13 PM
I just use regular oil and change it every 3k :)

LoboMan7409
10-16-2006, 10:33 PM
I do mine every 2500 miles with good old MOBIL 1 0W40

DrFabulous
10-17-2006, 09:42 AM

For example:

Now GTFO.

hahahaha you make my life. Sig worthy, IMO.

jackal2000
10-17-2006, 11:05 AM

For example:

Now GTFO.

how often and why do you change your oil?

B0000rt
10-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Fact of the matter is, GM developed this OLM so that it takes the guess work out of changing your oil. Sure, if you want to use Synthetic, disregard the OLM, as it is calibrated to calculate your OCI on Dino oil.

There are complex computer algorithms in the OLM, which will determine, by everything that Mike Jung mentioned, when you should change your oil.

If you think it's a dummy light, you're the dummy. I'd like to see your credentials compared with the PhDs and Masters that probably slaved over the OLM that GM now uses in ALL their vehicles.

Do you realize the 3000mile OCI was developed YEARSSSSSSS ago (you and I were probably still only 2 cells, sperm and egg), and since then, oil quality (even Dino) has increased in quality ever since?

chipontiac20
10-17-2006, 04:33 PM
So if I use Castrol Syntec I only have to change my oil when the light comes on or every 5000 miles or what?

This could make things so much easier...

Mike Jung
10-17-2006, 06:37 PM
how often and why do you change your oil?
12-months, or if the Change Oil light comes on.

Which comes to about:
I figure about 300-hours on the oil / 10K km (about 6.2K miles)
Note: Police cars using dino motor oil, do about a 200-hours oil change intervals because of all the idling.

I was doing what GM Canada specified at 6-months or if change oil light comes on; when API went to SM spec.

But I have not been putting on the mileage or hours on the engine.

My GA: oil life monitor system on current spec dino oil (API SM) is for up to 12.5K km/7.7K miles or 12-months if the change oil light does not come on.

But I am not using a dino motor oil.

I am using Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (from Germany), that is a PAO (with Ester blended) base synthetic motor oil with an over-sized NAPA Gold oil filter.

The Castrol Syntec 0W-30 from Germany is ACEA A3 rated with long-life spec's for Merecedes, BMW, Audi/VW, (& Porsche before they went to xW-40 oils, to keep idiots from putting non-spec'd xW-30 motor oil in them).

So the GA Oil Life Monitor system should be a safe early warning for me to change my oil out.

For all your oil technical needs, see: Bob is the Oil Guy forums (http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB51)

digitalballz
10-17-2006, 06:40 PM
I change every 3 months or 3k miles, with mobil1. I dont think im throwing my money away..... oh yeah cuz I dont pay for it!!! lol

digitalballz
10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh and as for the people who change there oil according to the change oil light. have you ever taken apart your motor to see what the inside looks like??? I took apart a buick with a 3.4(or 3.1 cant remeber) that has 50k miles and it was horrible inside. Looked like it had 250k on it. The sludge was nasty! The lady said that she wouldnt change her oil before that light came on because its there for a reason.

jackal2000
10-17-2006, 07:03 PM
i have seen my motor torn apart and yes it was trashed. i changed my oil religiously every 3k miles on top of adding oil at least once a week because it was burning (hence my current rebuild) and NEVER ONCE did the change oil light come on. the first thing the mech asked me once it was all apart was how often did you change the oil? and then he showed me the carnage. i believe this "OLM" is flawed.

the time i reached 3k miles each time the oil was black. how is it that the light did not come on?

Mike Jung
10-17-2006, 07:53 PM
All bets are off on the OLM, when your engine is not healthy.
Like burning oil & LIM leaks.

It also depends on what oil was used during the oil change.
As different oils, have different spec's.

I think that is why GM Canada now recommends 6-month oil change intervals (vs the 12-months in the owner's manual), when API went to a SM spec.
(from 3-month oil change intervals)

On my GA:
Haven't seen any sludge or vanish on my engine valve train area through the oil filler hole or dipstick.

& at 3K miles: my oil is not black.

Mike Jung
10-17-2006, 08:01 PM
So if I use Castrol Syntec I only have to change my oil when the light comes on or every 5000 miles or what?...
It really depends on your driving conditions (& other variables); but yes, if you engine is healthy & clean.

& stay away from oil filters like Fram.
That are made for short oil change intervals.

Try (what ever comes 1st): 6-months, 5K miles, or if the change oil light comes on.
But you have to monthly check your dipstick for proper level & condition.

Note: North American Castrol Syntec is not really made for real "long-life" oil change intervals.
As it is a "hydro-cracked" dino oil.
Don't ever go over 7.5K miles with it.

chipontiac20
10-17-2006, 08:02 PM
I am using Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (from Germany), that is a PAO (with Ester blended) base synthetic motor oil with an over-sized NAPA Gold oil filter.

So how do I go about getting this oil or is it at a regular autoparts store. If it's imported any compareable stuff I can buy in the states?

Mike Jung
10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
So how do I go about getting this oil or is it at a regular autoparts store. If it's imported any compareable stuff I can buy in the states?
Example of a older generation bottle, of Castrol Syntec 0W-30 oil.
http://home.comcast.net/~dsmphotos/gc/1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmphotos/gc/2.jpg

Look at larger AutoZone stores in the US, for Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil.
On the back label, it has to say "Made in Germany" with a bunch of European specs.

In Canada, at:
Walmart
Canadian Tire
PartSource

Sprucegagt
10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
i have seen my motor torn apart and yes it was trashed. i changed my oil religiously every 3k miles on top of adding oil at least once a week because it was burning (hence my current rebuild) and NEVER ONCE did the change oil light come on. the first thing the mech asked me once it was all apart was how often did you change the oil? and then he showed me the carnage. i believe this "OLM" is flawed.

the time i reached 3k miles each time the oil was black. how is it that the light did not come on?

Sounds like you were using some nasty oil. When I pulled the heads off my car at 90,000 miles there was not even enough sludge to fill up your fingernail. I used just regular Havoline 10w-30 changed every 3,000 miles. It would look black at 3,000 miles. After that I used full synthetic Havoline 5w-30 until I couldn't find it anymore. Now I just started using German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30. It's expensive stuff but should be worth it at 5,000+ mile intervals.

00blackGT
10-18-2006, 01:50 AM
wow..alot of respones on this topic. Yea yes sometimes i do use the "Change Oil Light" to remind me. And i use mobile one 10w 40 and every other oil change i put some the lucas oil stabilizer. Waste of money? Probably? The main reason i asked was because I did not want SOMETHING else to be wrong with my car.

Off Topic but since my tranny was filled back up from being a qt low its been shifting very different. Like from 1st to 2nd it takes forever.

Mike Jung
10-18-2006, 05:42 AM
wow..alot of respones on this topic. Yea yes sometimes i do use the "Change Oil Light" to remind me. And i use mobile one 10w 40 and every other oil change i put some the lucas oil stabilizer...
Mobil 1 10W-40 :confused:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx

Time to change out the oil (& oil filter).

& DON'T use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the winter time.
(& IMO would not use Lucas Oil Stabilzer in my oil.)

digitalballz
10-18-2006, 08:28 PM
We use this stuff from lubeguard to flush out the old crap, and then there is an additive to use after. We only use it for people who are notorious for waiting too long to change there oil. http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/index.html

thats the link to the page! We use all the stuff on that page pretty much. I know on my GA that the tranny stuff helped to nulify the beginning stages of slipping!

00blackGT
10-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Mobil 1 10W-40 :confused:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx

Time to change out the oil (& oil filter).

& DON'T use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the winter time.
(& IMO would not use Lucas Oil Stabilzer in my oil.)

10W-30 Not 40...Dont know what i was thinking...

whyte69
01-30-2007, 10:56 PM
I just changed my oil this past weekend and my "dummy" light still hasn't gone off. Is there anything else that this could indicate?

pyro
01-30-2007, 10:58 PM
I just changed my oil this past weekend and my "dummy" light still hasn't gone off. Is there anything else that this could indicate?

that you dont know how to reset it :D
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=987&highlight=change+oil+light

cmtapanes
01-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Did you change the PCM? After I replace my PCM the light will not light up after 3,000 miles. The light came on about 5,000... when it light up I change the oil and reset the light. Now the light comes on at 3,000 miles.

whyte69
01-31-2007, 12:11 AM
sweet deal, thanks a lot pyro. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

gectek
01-31-2007, 01:15 AM
call me crazy but i thought GM specifies 5W30 for the GAGTs

pyro
01-31-2007, 07:17 AM

yea but you can use 10w-30 or 0w-30 and be fine...down here it doesnt get cold enough to need 5w-30

Sprucegagt
01-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Did you change the PCM? After I replace my PCM the light will not light up after 3,000 miles. The light came on about 5,000... when it light up I change the oil and reset the light. Now the light comes on at 3,000 miles.

The light is not set to come on every 3,000 miles. Instead it varies depending on your driving habits.

It does.