Damaged car opinions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Damaged car opinions

arin
10-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Ok, I'm looking into buying a car and stumbled upon a '00 Grand Am w/ 84,000 for $1.5k. It has front and rear bumper/hood damage w/ airbags deployed. Runs and drives good. I'm short on money and a vehicle like this would be perfect. I would be fine driving around this slightly damaged vehicle until i can repair - but, i'm wondering what you think?
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2006/10/14/210/807/1083588270.210807227.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jp g
It looks like they maybe went into the ditch or something? Could that possibly blow the airbags? I'd obviously have to fix the headlight ASAP, but around what would the rest of the repairs cost(without labor)? I'm mostly worried about the airbags.. Are the airbags a must or can you jsut replace the covers on and be fine until the actual bag is replaced? What would be things to look for under the hood/vehicle that would show possibly more damage than just the bumpers & hood?

Thanks!

tomh
10-16-2006, 07:03 PM
ya shouldnt cost you to much to fix it if you look around for the parts.. i have a set of bags/sir module if you decide to ge the car.

you can look for paint over spray to see if the fron bumper cover was replaced.. it doesnt look damanged in that picture.. should be an ez fix

arin
10-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Does the airbags deploying signal that this was a more serious accident than it shows? Or would they deploy for such a small accident?

Malaclypse
10-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Seriously, if you want a car for that cheap, go buy an early '90s Honda or Toyota...

It'll last you alot longer than the GA in question.

Pitter98
10-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Seriously, if you want a car for that cheap, go buy an early '90s Honda or Toyota...

It'll last you alot longer than the GA in question.

I hate to say it, but I gotta agree. Even though that is a low price for a GA, you could do better for $1500. Wrecked cars are never good - and considering the airbags deployed, there could be frame damage and other problems that you don't know about till you get it checked over. I would pass on it unless you know a good mechanic that can look it over for you and make sure that nothing is seriously messed up on it - because you could easily double or triple your purchase price just in repairs alone if there's more damage to it than the picture shows. That's just my 2 cents though - if there's nothing too bad wrong with it and you don't mind driving around a damaged looking car, it's probably worth it.

DrFabulous
10-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Get a mechanic to check it over for frame damage, and see what would need to be replaced- I'm guessing there's more damage than just the body.