Help with Exhaust... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Exhaust...

EddieS
10-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Greetings, I am a newbie to the site. Looks cool. Anyway, check this out. I need some help with my car. I have a 1997 Grand Am GT, with a 3.1L engine. I've had the car for about 4 months. With a lil money in my pocket now, I want to redo the exhaust to make it sound a little better. What I want is a deeper tone, not super loud. Well with some visits to the local shops, it seems near impossible to do. Most are telling me I need to get a new catylic converter, and flowbies or something else. But the shops are giving me a hard time about taking the stock converter off. Anyone got any suggestions to help me out? Or should I just forget about it. Thanks!!
Eddie

DrFabulous
10-17-2006, 08:39 AM
No decent shop should give you a hard time about that. Depending on your miles, replacing your cat isn't a bad idea- and they should be able to custom make you a cat-back exhaust for around $300. Keep shopping around.

3400MAN
10-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Keep Looking for someone willing to help you. When I had my GA I purchased an SLP Cat-Back exhasut, S&S Headers and a Magnaflow cat. THe internal drone was horrible and the exhasut note was really raspy. I believe that if I replaced the single the SLP muffler with something a little better it would have made it sound really nice. You have a lot of options, don't give up just because someone gave you a different answer than the one you were looking for.

poika
10-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I am gonna going to dig this thread up, I went to an exhaust shop up here in ontario canada...and the dude was like "yeah, a 2.5" exhaust wont fit in your car, and it would take a long time to make" now I understand that it will fit.,... i am not a retard... but as for the time to make, how many "special" bends are in the pipe that might be tricky?

lone_wolf025
10-30-2006, 03:47 PM
The worst bend, I would think, would be to go over the rear axle. Frankly I probably wouldn't trust the guy and find someplace else to go to.

DrFabulous
10-31-2006, 06:16 AM
It's not that hard to make the bend over the axle.... don't let some idiot tell you otherwise, or try to convince you to go under the axle. Take your business elsewhere.

poika
11-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Okay, thanks!