Water in Passenger foot pan [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Water in Passenger foot pan

Three3fitty
10-17-2006, 08:18 PM
I have a GAGT 01, i've had a leak comming from the sun roof at one point then also from under the driver siade door both comming into the car. Those both have been fixed. though i should give you a history on the leaks

A new leak has started. the water is comming from under the dash on the passenger side. takeing the plastic pannel off i can see where the water sits in the panel. i drilled a hole in it to make it drain into the foot well so it doesn't cause water to go into my blower motor. This has been getting increasingly wores. now when it rains i'm shop vacing out about 2 quarts of water every time. i'm wondering if anyone else is haveing this problem how to fix it.

nascarnate326
10-17-2006, 09:01 PM
I did have a problem of water getting into my fuse panel on the passenger side.
I never found a fix for it.

lone_wolf025
10-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Check your ducting starting from the "intake" up by the windshield. You've probably got a break somewhere.

polo77
10-19-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm also having a problem with water coming into the car when raining. Its on the right side of the floor in the backseat. I thought maybe I had left my window down a little bit, but after the wet weather we got its still there. Kinda got me puzzled.

jaketuff
10-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Notorious with these sunroofs and 'ducts.' And it is always a PITA to replicate the leaks. Mine has a leak as well, but only after LIGHT prolonged rain. REally weird and I just drilled holes and painted thru the hole to prevent rust.

I have accepted it is a nuance of such a fine automobile.

OUT

pokesmot
10-19-2006, 09:27 PM
another problem with the 92 - 95 GA's is the firewall will rust out on the passenger side.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/MnKyOfHaTe/CopyofPIC00072.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/MnKyOfHaTe/CopyofPIC00071.jpg

gagt88
10-19-2006, 09:43 PM
could it be the weather stripping on the windshield?? just a thought

jaketuff
10-19-2006, 10:51 PM
It's just a POS design flaws and gaps here and there, differing from car to car. Time for that 92-95 ride to get some shpackle!!!

OUT

Three3fitty
10-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I've been told by a friend of mine who works on autobody. he said that the 2000's leak where min is becosue of a deflector that fell off between the firewall and engine comp. i'm going to take the plastic houseing off tomorrow and see what i can find. if i remember i'm going to take pictures of the surgery.

Three3fitty
10-21-2006, 04:46 PM
I took apart the shrowd that covers the area between the firewall and engine comp today. I foud a shroud around the intake to the fan that takes in air from the ouside. the opening was a lot bigger than i though it was going to be. this shroud was bolted on and wasn't loose like my friend has told me. what i ended up doing was running ahose down my windshield and caused the leak to occure in the car. with the leak inside i was able to look under the plastic houseing and see where the water was getting in.

what ended up happening is that the joint of where the two parts of the body meet, the sealent was high causeing the water to pool. i cut a channel in the sealent flush with the body and then sealed a thin layer over it to make sure it didn't cause another leak. also with this pooling it caused the water to sit again the plastic shroud for the Hvac inlet. i also sealed around the shroud for the hvac inside and out. hopefully this had stopped my leak under the dash. i will let you know of the outcome. right now everything is drying and setting up overnight. keep your fingers crossed for me.

B0000rt
10-21-2006, 06:22 PM
I noticed mucho water puddle in my rear passengerside foot area. Traced the leak upto the passenger front area.. Didn't have anything else other than some RTV Gasket maker LOL, so I threw a whole bunch of that stuff between the windshield and the plastic shroud underneath the wipers.. I hope that works :(

HamiltonAudio
10-21-2006, 09:10 PM
my story is even better - when drilling a hole through the firewall for my audio install power wire, I noticed a lot of "steam" coming off the step-bit...when I stopped, water dribbled from BETWEEN THE LAYERS OF FIREWALL (its double layer) into the car!!!! hahahahahah obviously water was getting in between...

A closer look showed me that its coming from way up high and dribbling into the car on the driver footwell....taking the wiper cowl off, i noticed the tell-tale gaps on the firewall seam sealer and such...I chose to use roofing repair compound cuse it never really dries and since you can't see it, who cares :) zipped up the area I thought was causing me grief and it seems to have lessened the leak dramatically....but its way cold out now and the next rain likely won't be till april, so I got some time to work on it ;)

i suspect that if I goop up the ENTIRE seam and everything in the area, I will have solved the issue....

bmoney

B0000rt
10-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Lol, that is a better story, roofing repair compound >> RTV Gasket Maker!

Next then, someone's gonna one up you and use tooth paste ;)

----------------

It's raining today, and I haven't seen her leak yet, so I think it's holding!

HamiltonAudio
10-22-2006, 11:47 AM
you can't one-up roof repair my friend! and your gasket maker will dry out and let go over time ;)

bmoney