Brake Fluid in 2000 GA [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid in 2000 GA

dna_dan
10-20-2006, 03:23 PM
I read a few posts stating that DOT4 synthetic brake fluid does NOT eat rubber seals. Well let me tell you my experience...

I put in DOT 4 fluid (Prestone or some regular brand) about 2 years ago. After a year I noticed when I removed the brake fluid reservoir cap, the reservoir lip was no longer "round". It was also very difficult to get the cap back on. Also, the rubber on the inside of the cap was swollen and didn't want to fit in the cap anymore. Seeing that this ruined the plastic, I flushed the system out with DOT3 which is recommened by GM. I then changed the reservoir and cap. (I hope to god this didn't dammage some other seal somewhere in the braking system.)

Anyway, I am now on DOT3, completely stock setup and I hate the way the pedal feels. It's not more squishy than it should be, it's just like the stock setup. I miss the firm gains in pedal feel that I observed with the DOT4. SO. I am thinking about using some Super blue fluid from PFYC. Has anyone used this? Does it ruin the plastic on the cap or reservoir? Is it really compatible with our cars? (2000GAGT)

I don't know why many people say they can't feel the gain in firmness from using a DOT 4 fluid. I noticed the difference right away.

dna_dan
10-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Anyone use the blue stuff from PFYC? There has to be someone out there?

JHawk GT
10-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Been using ATE TYP 200 and Super Blue for the last 3 years. Got the Super Blue in there now. No probs whatsoever