No coolant coming from Radiator? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : No coolant coming from Radiator?

GTplaya02
10-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey guys,

So yesterday i tore the engine apart and changed the LIM gasket, valve gaskets, and upper gaskets, because they had the good old grand am leak..

So everything is back togather now..Before I did the gasket the engine was overheating quickly, but i noticed before that the Tube coming from the Raditor up to where the thermostat is, isnt firm what so ever, meaning no coolant is coming from the radiator..Even after the instal, it is still doing it.. Would you think the radiator is clogged...Im thinkin of gettin it flushed, but than again i can get a brand new radiator for that price...and i can install it...I dunno what to do..Thanks guys

lone_wolf025
10-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Is this the line you're talking about?
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/lone_wolf025/DSC00587.jpg

GTplaya02
10-22-2006, 01:04 PM
no, the one by the battary...The thick hose that goes to the Thermostat area...

lone_wolf025
10-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Ah. Duh...should've read that more closely...

Could be either bad radiator or t-stat stuck closed then.

GTplaya02
10-22-2006, 01:35 PM
hmm..i did replace the thermostat during the gasket install...any chance a radiator flush would solve it?

lone_wolf025
10-22-2006, 01:45 PM
I assume you tested the car to see if its still overheating after the repairs right? (Dumb question I know. Just making sure)

GTplaya02
10-22-2006, 01:57 PM
yes it is still overheating..I drove it a mile home from where i was repairing it at, and it reached 230-250...I shut the car down around 240, so i dont blow a head gasket...It heated up quickly...Im thinking the radiator may be clogged badly, Ive used a No leak substance before in my coolant..Also im getting no heat...

jaketuff
10-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Yep... powerflush the radiator... the hoses are VERY clean from the radiator? Or is that sweet chunky buildup inside? The radiator clogging should cause splattering of coolant thru the hoses... depending on how bad it is.

Hit the junkyard and pull that one, not too hard to change out. Give you stocker a nice flight to the pile for me.;)

OUT

GTplaya02
10-22-2006, 02:49 PM
just talked to a friend of mine..Turns out it could possibly have an air pocket within the coolant lines...And im going to release the screw so it drips out, and removes the air pocket...This is what i was told. Anybody can back that up?

digitalballz
10-22-2006, 04:20 PM
its possible to have an air pocket causing you to overheat.

LoboMan7409
10-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Yeah opening the bleeder screws would be the first thing I would do, that is a huge possibility. The next thing I would do is the T-stat again, it is cheaper than flushing the radiator. Then the Rad flush would be last thing I would do, but that is just me.

GTplaya02
10-24-2006, 12:32 AM
did the flush, solved everything....I used Stop leak a while back to temp fix the LIM leak...And so i find out, that was a bad idea...clogged the return hoses near the radiator...now it runs like a champ..but im smelling gas inside and outside of my car..and it smokes..i have a leak in a hose by the throttle body, dripping on the heat shield..which smokes like no oither!!..gunna fix her all up tommorow, should be good..I hate how this Gasket went at 50k miles...Ive seen it go at 8k...Cheap asss GA's..

LoboMan7409
10-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Nice, good job on the fix, if I had known you had used stop leak I would have suggested starting with the rad flush.