Instrument/Gage Cluster removal [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Instrument/Gage Cluster removal

grandam1697
10-24-2006, 05:44 AM
Hey I have been looking around for the "How to do" on this but can't seem to find it. I need to remove my Gage cluster to see if there is a short in the wiring, my gages don't come on all the time and it takes a hard punding to get them to come on again.

Does anyone have this link handy? Thanks.

onesexyga
10-24-2006, 06:16 AM
drop the tilt steering wheel down.
Grab the sides of the steering column panel and lift off.
Take the two screws in the top of the 'boobs' off with a stubby phillips
Using a socket and straight driver remove the two screws exposed by removing the column panel.
Take the boobs off.
There are 2 more of said screws, same size, up top on either side, take those off
remove the guage cluster, it might take some maneuvering, unplug
once its out it will be pretty self explainatory to take apart.

grandam1697
10-24-2006, 08:32 AM
thanks for the direction. I'll give it a try.

I take it I need to disconnect the battery while I am doing this right?

tenspeed
10-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Here's a couple of people who have a gauges that turn off. There's an attached wiring diagram too.

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66426

grandam1697
10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the link. The attachment doesn't work though.....so you think it might be wiring or an ignition switch? I have the same issue with the gauges not coming on right away or turning off while driving. I can get them back on by banging just above the guages, don't want to keep doing this though....this problem sucks while driving at night!

tenspeed
10-24-2006, 10:30 PM
The attachment is a Adobe pdf file. It takes a little while to download.

It showed that the power to the gauges, A/C, power windows, etc came through the electrical switch attached to the ignition. Try pounding above the radio next time.

If all your gauges are going out, it's either the power coming in or the ground wire. Is everything else working?

grandam1697
10-26-2006, 05:09 AM
I will give that a try the next time it happens.

When the gauges go out everything goes out: headlights, fog lights, everything inside the car but the radio works fine.

grandam1697
10-27-2006, 05:09 AM
I tried pounding above the radio and nothing seemed to work out there. Pounded again above the right side of the gauges and came on again. Seems to be the place. I think a wire behind there is loose. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet...hopefully the next couple of days I can.