Passlock Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Passlock Problems

normal
10-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Ive never had a problem with passlock until now... it is a 00 GAGT and the passlock wouldn't let my car start for the first time about a month ago, then last weekend Id gone to the store, got to my car and it wouldn't start...waited for 15 mins with the key in and it finally did. Yesterday I was out working on running new power wire for my system, and when I finished I went to start the car and got nothing but the security, ses, oil, and battery lights. So i put the key in for about 15 min, but the security lights wouldn't go off. I tried the relearn for putting it in for 11 min, turning off for 30 sec, repeat etc...still nothing. I am now to the point where if i try to turn it over, nothing happens and all lights go out and stay out. I then have to unhook the battery to get any response from the car while teh key is in. The biggest issue, is i live on a college campus... and my car has taken residence in a lot that i am not allow to park in during the week...unfortunately it doesn't look like it will start at all anytime soon, especially since ive spent close to 3 or 4 hours trying to get it to. Right now i have left the key in the on position and am hoping in about 30-45 min when i go back out to it the security light is off. Any opinions/ideas? I would have no problem replacing the ignition lock cylinder, but it is sunday, and i am not sure of any places that would carry it and be open. It is looking like i will be having it towed half a mile down the road to my parking lot...
Thanks

andrewe77
10-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Battery is probably dead.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-AC-DELCO-IGNITION-LOCK-CYLINDER-D1474D_W0QQitemZ170028866372QQihZ007QQcategoryZ676 3QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Locksmith can code it for about $15 bucks, easy to install and then the security light will be on all the time and will never prevent the car from starting.

normal
10-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks for your help!

normal
11-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Alrighty, Ive got my new lock cylinder, have the old one out, and will be having the new one keyed and coded tomorrow. I had one question though. The new cylinder came with three small springs (one larger than the other two), two small rods, and a small metal piece. Now by looking at the old cylinder, I know where the metal piece and the large spring go to hold the cylinder in place, but I don't know where the other two springs and two rods go. Maybe I am not paying attention or something, but i can't seem to find where they went on the old cylinder. Thanks for all the help, I know it has saved me plenty of frustration and time/money.

normal
11-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Okay, I went to the dealer to have the new cylinder coded, and they said they can only do that when the ignition cylinder was installed, so they printed of the instructions for it, which are to leave the key in for 10 min. and then it will relearn. They also said just to transfer the tumblers in order to set the lock. I set the lock (worked out fine) installed teh cylinder, hooked everything up put the key in on for 11 min. and nothing happened. Same old thing. I am wondering if there was something else i needed to do as far as "coding" the cylinder?