Help Diagnose Code P0442 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help Diagnose Code P0442

PLUM_72
10-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Need some help from those of you that have fixed a code P0442 ( Evaporative Emission Control System Leak, small). The car is an 01 GA/GT with 58K.

Code was set, had AutoZone read it but they would not clear it.

Purchased and installed a dealer issue Gas Cap. Still have the SES light

Replaced the PCV valve. Still have the SES light

The car has never had any one tamper with the gas tank or sending unit so I don't think that the filler seal is pinched or torn as the bulletin states. Visually the lines around the purge solenoid look okay.

Where should I look next? I've read about the smoke test, but I'd have to take the car in for that. Im temped to see if I can pull a vacuum off the port by the purge valve.

If I find the gas tank seal is leaking how about an RTV silicone fix?

Any emissions warranty that would cover this?

Other suggestions?

brim
10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
evap systems are generally self regulating, so if pressure is maintained the light will turn itself off. There's generally a legit leak that is causing the light to turn on. If there are no available codes specific to the valves i wouldn't worry, autozone WILL reset the light at most stores, but they're not always allowed to do so (lots of small dealers turning troubled cars lights off for sale).

You could always rent the code scanner from them, turn the code off and then return the tool though. Then see if it comes back on.

badboy2451
10-31-2006, 08:15 PM
if no one will reset the light for you then i would suggest gettin ur system smoked becuase after everything you looked over and said looks good, that is really the only other thing you can do to find out exactly where the leak is

jackal2000
10-31-2006, 08:35 PM
http://www.tankota.net/repair/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/di/eg5vzfe/cip0442p.pdf

maybe?

Malaclypse
10-31-2006, 09:52 PM
If an EVAP leak code comes up and its nothing pertaining to the Purge/Vent solenoids, and a gas cap didn't fix it... Time to get a smoke test.

Bite the bullet because its really the only way to fix it.

PLUM_72
11-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replies! If i disconnect the battery wait a few minutes and reconnect, is this supposed to turn off the light? I have done this and as soon as I start the car the light immediately comes on. Its like it never went off. On the older GM cars you could do this and clear the code. I'm not sure if its still the same on OBD II.

I'll try a different AutoZone and see what happens. Otherwise it's off to the stealership.

Sprucegagt
11-01-2006, 08:10 PM
You can do that but you have to leave the battery disconnected for over 20 minutes. But if you really do have a problem the code will come back after driving the car some.

Caputo777
02-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Does a faulty gas gauge (on and off reads empty when theres plenty of gas) have anything to do with code p0442?

gectek
02-14-2007, 03:20 PM
well that faulty gague shouldnt have anything to do with it and also due to federal law the evap system has to show a fault when the system has a leak of more than a PCV has nothing to do with the evap system. the evap system is to control the fumes from the gas tank. if you pull up a flow chart it will tell you smoke test or there arent that many lines, you could just replace them to make sure you are dealing with a fresh new deck of cards

aandhaaf
02-18-2007, 06:57 AM
had that same code show on my 96 grand am gt and well the inseption people tested my gas cap it failed so i got one from the junk yard and its ok and it also was saying i failed for O2 sensor after the cat, well low and behold my check engine light went out with out me even changing anything. it comes on when i start and goes away. so its been out for 150mileas going to see if i can get it inspected and get the stupid R gone.
hollie

Caputo777
05-25-2008, 07:56 AM
If an EVAP leak code comes up and its nothing pertaining to the Purge/Vent solenoids, and a gas cap didn't fix it... Time to get a smoke test.

Bite the bullet because its really the only way to fix it.

I got a smoke test finally for my P0442 code and they found absolutely no leakage anywhere. They chalked it up (Since I got a new gas cap less than a year ago) to the gas cap just not being tightened enough. About 500 miles after they cleared the code and did the smoke test - it's back.

I'm going to bring it back soon but does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

gectek
05-25-2008, 10:03 PM
could be a bad evap solenoid, canister, or purge sol

Caputo777
05-26-2008, 05:27 PM
could be a bad evap solenoid, canister, or purge sol

I just had the solenoid and purge replaced a couple of months ago in the first effort to get rid of the light...I don't know anything about a canister

gectek
05-27-2008, 08:36 AM
there is a canister located by the gas tank, it is what filters the vapors and stores them before they go into the engine when the purge sol works. it is a black box

lone_wolf025
05-27-2008, 09:11 AM
there is a canister located by the gas tank, it is what filters the vapors and stores them before they go into the engine when the purge sol works. it is a black box

My money's on the canister.

To the OP:
How often do you top off the tank when you fill up? If you do top it off considerably then the canister might have sucked gas.

gectek
05-27-2008, 11:09 AM
yah sometimes itll get soaked with fuel, or maybe the evap valve itself is leaking...or the cap is too tight on it

jurgs2007
05-28-2008, 07:02 PM
i have had this problem for quite some time. i had it smoke tested and they replaced the gas cap. it still does it. so they tried again, and they said its my filler neck. i still havent gotten it replaced, but i have to get rid of the code once or twice a week.

edit:i just checked and deleted the code today and it changed from P0442 (evap system leak small) to P0440 (evap system leak). something tells me wherever my leak is, it got bigger.

DoCDooM
05-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Does a faulty gas gauge (on and off reads empty when theres plenty of gas) have anything to do with code p0442?

Hey man, this is a bit off topic for the thread but if your gas gauge is sticking or intermittant it is likely the fuel sending unit in the gas tank.

Might as well cough up the $500 bux and replace the whole module as the fuel pump is likely going too, along with the pressure regulator, it happend like that on my car 02 GAGT.

Get aftermarket parts if you can, the "genuine GM" parts are just as crappy as the factory parts the car came with.

Just some advice, keep an eye on your fuel pressure, especially if the car starts to intermittantly stall (even on the highway) or fail to start. (wait and then kick the gas tank for an emergency start)

Signed; The voice of unwieldly experience.

Dan

gectek
05-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Hey man, this is a bit off topic for the thread but if your gas gauge is sticking or intermittant it is likely the fuel sending unit in the gas tank.

Might as well cough up the $500 bux and replace the whole module as the fuel pump is likely going too, along with the pressure regulator, it happend like that on my car 02 GAGT.

Get aftermarket parts if you can, the "genuine GM" parts are just as crappy as the factory parts the car came with.

Just some advice, keep an eye on your fuel pressure, especially if the car starts to intermittantly stall (even on the highway) or fail to start. (wait and then kick the gas tank for an emergency start)

Signed; The voice of unwieldly experience.

Dan

^^^I disagree, most times replacing a crappy AC Delco with a crappy AC Delco is better than replacing it with a bargain pump that may or may not work out of the box...I work at a parts store, i know how it goes.

Caputo777
06-01-2008, 11:11 AM
My money's on the canister.

To the OP:
How often do you top off the tank when you fill up? If you do top it off considerably then the canister might have sucked gas.

I used to always top off the gas tank but have stopped doing it in the past year

I appreciate the input - it gives me something to recommend that they look into.