Cruise Control help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control help

hepy117
11-05-2006, 09:49 PM
I did a search on cruise control and couldn't find anything in the forum (might have overlooked something though). Here is my problem....

I'll be going down the highway and i'll set my cruise at let's say 70mph. It will come on and it will stay on for a little while and then in kicks off for no reason. I know I am not hittin the on/off button or touching the brakes.

Any ideas? Thanks for the info in advance. I just got the car on thursday so I am hoping it is not something major. I didn't know if there the fuse went bad or maybe the switch or a connector or something came lose but I don't even know where the connector is. Oh and it is a 2000 GT coupe 3.4 V6 incase that info is needed.

pyro
11-05-2006, 09:59 PM
well if you just got it thursday id take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. if they will cover it then why bother to diagnose yourself? as for the actual issue, im not sure, but im sure someone will chime in soon enough. id take it back to the dealer first though.

hepy117
11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
yeah I am gunna call the dealership tomorrow. I just wanted to post here and see what you guys thought it would be because from what i am can many of you know alot about cars (i'm 18 years old....know a little but not to much)

Sprucegagt
11-05-2006, 10:13 PM
It may be a bad brake light switch. But have the dealer look it over since you just got it.

hepy117
11-05-2006, 10:16 PM
It's weird though because I drove it home from the dealership, which is like 30 miles away (one way), and it worked fine. Then saturday i had to drive another 30 miles the other way to take SAT's and it started acting up. It pissed me off so much.

99GTCoupe
11-05-2006, 11:03 PM
I had that issue, but it's only done that a couple times, and not at any distinguishing times either. I've had my car for abour six months now, and have replaced every fuse in the passenger and driver side boxes. I -think- that the two times it happened was before I replaced all the fuses (not relays though, and nothing under the hood yet), so that may have fixed it for me, dunno though.

The only issue that I have with my cruise now is that if I have had it on for a long time it will stay at the right mph and all, but the rpms will go up like 200 or 300 for about 5 seconds, then drop back to normal. This is also on the highway, btw, I don't use cruise on normal roads. Could that be a failing cruise control module?

hepy117
11-08-2006, 05:51 PM
put my car in and got it back in less than a day. my mechanic just adjusted a cable and it works fine now. imagine that. thanks to all for your replys though.

pauljs75
11-14-2006, 03:03 AM
it will stay at the right mph and all, but the rpms will go up like 200 or 300 for about 5 seconds, then drop back to normal.

If it's windy out, or the road isn't level - then this is perfectly normal. It really gets funny when driving in mountainous areas. It's adjusting to the load encountered to maintain set speed. Other than that, who knows?

99GTCoupe
11-14-2006, 06:25 PM
I figured it was nothing, and just wanted to make sure :)
Thanks

cmtapanes
11-15-2006, 04:30 PM
I had that problem. You cruise control switch is going bad. My went bad, now I'm not able to set the cruise control. I just been lazy to replace it. Take it back and ask them to replace the switch.