New maintenence issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New maintenence issues

99GTCoupe
11-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Okay, so I had my car in at Meineke to get my oil changed and they gave me a few trouble spots:

1) New driver's CV axle shaft needed (boot torn, suspected this already)
2) Power steering fluid dirty
3) Fuel filter might need changing

Now, I found the instructions for the fuel filter replacement, and a few things on the power steering fluid flush, but wanted to ask a couple questions:

1) Does anyone know how to do a CV axle shaft replacement?
2) What's the best way to do the power steering flush?

I found the turkey baster method a few times, but was hoping for something a bit more, um, sane of an idea to use. Also, I doubt that I'd be able to do the CV shaft, but I figured I'd see if anyone knows if this is somethign that I could do. BTW - the CV shaft will cost just over $200 to fix at that shop (but I always price check) :)

Thanks in advance everyone

timberwoof
11-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Hey I think I saw something on here somewhere that showed instructions for the CV replacement. Did you do the search?

tenspeed
11-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Is the CV joint making noise or are you replacing it because the boot is torn? If it's not making noise, try repairing or replacing just the boot.

It's a seven year old car and you went to a place that wants to change parts. That's how they make their money.

timberwoof
11-07-2006, 01:49 AM
Is the CV joint making noise or are you replacing it because the boot is torn? If it's not making noise, try repairing or replacing just the boot.

It's a seven year old car and you went to a place that wants to change parts. That's how they make their money.

I agree, I went to get my oil changed and the guy told me I needed a new air filter. I told him that I had a K&N cone filter, and all I probably needed to do was clean it. He still insisted that I needed a new one, I threatened to call the Better Business Bureau, and he dropped the issue. What a hosebag.

99GTCoupe
11-07-2006, 10:51 AM
lol nice job timber
And yeah, I know about the whole thing with shops and money and such :)
All I know is the boot is ripped (I noticed grease in my wheel well last month, so I thought that), and also sometimes when I turn I hear a -thunk- noise (or whetever it is), and it comes from the driver's side front. It's makes sense that the joint would be going bad, since it's probably never been changed (guy I bought from never mentioned it), and the car has almost 119k miles on it. I wouldn't mind just doing the boot, but I'm fearful of crap already being in it (since I know it's been like that for a bit), and I saw a thread on cleaning it, but I think I'd feel safer (plus with the noise) if I replaced he whole thing. Like I said, I wouldn't mind doing it myself (if I could, and if it's not too much of a hassle), or at least price shop around.

As for searching, yeah, I did. I didn't see anything on how-to replace the cv shaft, though.

Anyone on the power steering flush? :)

sicc
11-07-2006, 10:56 AM
this will get you most of the way there as far as doing the cv-joint... i had to replace mine after screwing mine up during the hub replacement. If you get a haynes manual it walks you thru the last steps to replace the half shaft.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15474