'94 GAGT: no lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : '94 GAGT: no lights

White99GAGT
11-09-2006, 10:22 AM
I know this site mainly deals with 99+ Grand Am's but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask this question here anyway. My moms 1994 GAGT started having a problem the other day and I wanna try to narrow down the possible causes because I don't have a lot of time to work on it. The other day, when she started it up and turned on the lights, the tail lights, parking lights, instrument lights, fog lights are all out. The head lights, blinkers, hazards and tail lights(when the brake is pressed) seem to be working, when they are turned on. The fuses are all good. I figure it might be the multi function stalk gone bad or maybe even the dimmer switch. Just seeing if anybody has had a similar problem or might be able to help me out? Thanks.

Mirage85
11-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Might not be the problem, But I would check for corrosion in all the fuse pannels. My girlfriend was having troubles with her Alero, doors would lock, but not unlock, lights wouldnt work, etc... I found out the drivers side fuse panel had lots of corrosion, so I had to take out all the relays and wire brush the connections to clean everything up. Works great now.....

just a thought.

Matt95GT
11-09-2006, 12:53 PM
The 94-95 headlight-signal combo switch is notorious for failure in this manner.

GMpartsdirect.com has them, or use a printout to try and get a pricematch at a dealer. (beware... dealer markup is almost $50)

Changing is fairly easy, but you'll need a long and narrow torx bit for the screws under the steering column cover, and a short one (I actually used a broken/cut bit) to get at the front screw on the combo switch without having to remove the steering wheel.

polo77
11-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Actually my dad had this problem with his 95 Grand am. I dont remember how he fixed it. I remember him saying something about spraying wd-40 where the blinker and headlight switch goes into the steering colum. If u do this besure to take out the rubber piece before u spray and in there. Sounds strange but it worked.

Matt95GT
11-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Actually my dad had this problem with his 95 Grand am. I dont remember how he fixed it. I remember him saying something about spraying wd-40 where the blinker and headlight switch goes into the steering colum. If u do this besure to take out the rubber piece before u spray and in there. Sounds strange but it worked.

Bad idea... I attempted to salvage my old switch by cleaning it with various things... It decided to arc/smoke even though it was fairly dry. The fix was only temporary... had to replace the switch 2 weeks later... and it isn't worth the trouble to rip the column apart more than once.

White99GAGT
11-10-2006, 12:18 AM
I started to take off the multi function stalk this mourning, so I can make sure the parts store gives me the correct replacement. Now I was able to take the cover off but when it came to the stalk itself, it seems there are more screws near the bottom of it. Now I did this in a rush this mourning and was just wondering will the steering wheel have to be removed, to get to these screws? Like I said before I do not have a lot of time to mess with the car so any help is appreciated. I also called a few parts stores and can get the following replacements:

1) One made by a company called standard for $95.
2) One from Autozone for $75, not sure of the brand.
3) An AC Delco stalk for $125.

What are your guys opinions on each option? Because we are unsure how long we may keep the car and it is getting up there in age, I was thinking just to get the one from Autozone. I have bought a few different parts from there and so far no real complaints. Thanks guys.

Matt95GT
11-10-2006, 08:26 AM
I would recommend only the real Gm AC Delco replacement... but it should be closer to $70-80, as it is on GMpartsdirect. (there are only 2 types, with cruise or without cruise)

If you truely don't care about how long it will last, just get the cheapest... but be warned that every single electrical-related part I purchased at Autozone has failed prematurely.

As I recall, there are only 2 screws, one on the top, and the difficult one facing the drivers seat. You won't have to remove the wheel, but as I said, use a stubby hex bit for that odd one. I set the bit alone in the screw, then turned it with pliars.

If they are any use... here... you can see the screw holes on the part and on the bare metal of the column when zoomed...
http://fazeshift.org/pics/thumbnails.php?album=41

White99GAGT
11-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Alright was able to get the stalk/switch out, I used a small open end wrench and spent like 5 minutes turning it. Slow but got the job done with what I had. I guess I will try a few more places for the replacement or gmpartsdirect. Will let you guys know if this solves the problem.

White99GAGT
11-10-2006, 07:25 PM
As I recall, there are only 2 screws, one on the top, and the difficult one facing the drivers seat. You won't have to remove the wheel, but as I said, use a stubby hex bit for that odd one. I set the bit alone in the screw, then turned it with pliars.

Yup you were right, you don't have to remove the steering wheel. I was later able to get everything back together and I used a small torx bit and socket wrench to do so. Thanks man.

Alright, got a replacement stalk and now everything works again. We opted for the Autozone replacement because they were the only ones that had it in stock and we needed the car back on the road ASAP. Thanks again for the help.

Matt95GT
11-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Yup you were right, you don't have to remove the steering wheel. I was later able to get everything back together and I used a small torx bit and socket wrench to do so. Thanks man.

Alright, got a replacement stalk and now everything works again. We opted for the Autozone replacement because they were the only ones that had it in stock and we needed the car back on the road ASAP. Thanks again for the help.

Cool. No prob. I know this older gen and their quirks almost too well. lol