Mixing Dexcool with green antifreeze. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Dexcool with green antifreeze.

Plug
11-10-2006, 07:46 PM
;crap I know it is not a good thing to do but what happens when you add about 1 liter of dexcool antifreeze to an engine that has green antifreeze in it??

G/f added dexcool after I told her to top up with green. I ran green after our LIM change.

The reason for topping up was because the coolant cap was not screwed on all the way after checking the level...causing a bit of boil over out of the cap.

jackal2000
11-10-2006, 08:03 PM
j-e-l-l-o

at least thats my understanding

Molson
11-10-2006, 08:08 PM
yeah, it can gel up.

digitalballz
11-10-2006, 09:03 PM
It can, but it probly wont. I have done it in the shop before, and nothing has hapened yet!!

Plug
11-10-2006, 09:30 PM
What would be the consequence of geling up?? Cooling issues?? It can't be any worse than what the galleries looked like when I tore apart the motor last winter.

See link to pics http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2222979/4

Malaclypse
11-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Well, the gelling usually occours where the coolant is most likely to meet air. So in the coolant jug would be the best bet. Not that big of a deal it'd just be hard to clean out.

Looks like your intake gaskets where leaking for AWHILE. Thats an oil/oxidized coolant mix. Usually you get red flaky crap plugging up the coolant ports.

1 liter won't hurt anything.

Plug
11-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, the gelling usually occours where the coolant is most likely to meet air. So in the coolant jug would be the best bet. Not that big of a deal it'd just be hard to clean out.

Oh well need a new bottle anyways.

Looks like your intake gaskets where leaking for AWHILE. Thats an oil/oxidized coolant mix. Usually you get red flaky crap plugging up the coolant ports.

Yes they were but externally. LIM gasket, valve cover gaskets the works. It started small but for the last 3mos before doing the repair we were adding a liter a day for the coolant loss.

1 liter won't hurt anything.

That's the answer I was looking for. :applause: A second opinion is always nice too.

LoboMan7409
11-10-2006, 10:58 PM
2nd opinion, nada is going to happen

lone_wolf025
11-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I did that with my bro's car ('97 Monte Carlo) and it gelled up nicely. It had me thinking he was leaking oil into his coolant! But if you have to top off your coolant with green stuff get the kind from prestone that says its ok to mix with other colors.