Interior leak on a '94 GAGT [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Interior leak on a '94 GAGT

White99GAGT
11-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Alright well after fixing the multi function switch last night, I came across some water underneath the floor mat. And after a little more searching I discovered a couple of gallons of water in the spare tire well in the trunk. So Just wondering if there is a common area of weather stripping or anything else that might be the culprit? Seems there might be a common cause of GM's of this year because my little brothers '93 Cavalier coupe is also having a similar problem. Basically the trunk has been collecting water and it seems to have moved forward after it became full, leading to the carpet under the floor mats to be soaked. Any ideas or main areas to look for? Thanks.

White99GAGT
11-11-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure but I think I may have found where the water was coming from. It appears that the two studs that hold the drivers side tail light in place broke and was allowing water to leak in. The tail light essentially became a fish bowl and water began leaking into the trunk. So I used sealant to form a new gasket around the light to help hold it in place. Then spent the next couple of hours vacuuming it out and sucking up as much water as possible. I think it is supposed to rain tomorrow so hoping the sealant has enough time to cure and will know by then if it was in fact the tail. Here is a pic of the spare tire filled with water, I must have removed gallons of water.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/1torchedexplorer/000_0106.jpg

polo77
11-11-2006, 04:42 PM
i have had that same problem with the 94, 95, 99 grand ams i have owned. have no idea what causes that problem

White99GAGT
11-11-2006, 05:08 PM
i have had that same problem with the 94, 95, 99 grand ams i have owned. have no idea what causes that problem

Not sure yet, what the cause is but if it was not the tail light then I will have some more searching to do. I read this mourning that the 99+ coupes have a certain problem with a weather stripping going bad around the door, or there were also problems with the sunroof in particular. There were some threads, if you search for interior leak or sunroof leak you should be able to find them.

onesexyga
11-11-2006, 06:26 PM
92-95 ga's leak a lot into the underdash area. The firewall has a poorly designed seam that only lasts as long as the band aid body sealant. Once that breaks down, it leaks water like crazy. There are some seals here and there that contribute, in fact one was a recall or bulletin or whatever, but basically, theres not much you can do. The firewall is pretty well inaccessible. Hence why i sold the 93.

homeskillit37
11-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I know the taillight gasket is a common problem on noens. The taillight gasket also went bad on a 92 buick we had. All we did was put a liberal bead of sealend on the old gasket and it stopped the leak. Hope everything works out.

polo77
11-11-2006, 09:57 PM
no i ment that there is a puddle of water in the trunk everytime it rains. only in the trunk where there spare tire is.

White99GAGT
11-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Well it seems that the water for most of the car was coming in through the tail light. With all the rain we had yesterday, there was almost no water in the trunk except a small amount where the sealant stretched. So I am going to try and reseal it when the weather gets nicer or find a replacement tail light. The local junkyard wanted $50 for one and ebay doesn't seem to have any of the '94 GAGT ones. Now the only other problem area is that the front drivers side carpet seems to still be getting wet. But what's weird is that the firewall and the area around it is all dry. Just the area just in front of where the seat bolts in to the floor, at least to me, seems to be getting wet. So it looks like this next up and coming weekend, I have more searching to do.

Edit: The carpet on the front passenger side, where the seat bolts to the floor, is also still getting wet as well.

Matt95GT
11-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Ahhh... the classic water leaks... also a notorious prob on the 92-95's.

Been there and done it on 2 of them. My 95 was leaking up top somewhere... replaced the trunk weatherstripping (which is an easy job if you order the pre-cut replacement) only to discover it was a problem with the rear glass seal. (but turns out that was related to improper sealing during recent body work)

On the 94, it was the tail light. Same deal... busted mounts. I got replacement tails from a part recycler via www.junkyarddog.com - worked out well, cause I broke a mount installing the replacement, and they shipped me another for free. (look for the ones that will guarantee their parts)

As for the interior leaks up front... it is usually rust spots on the firewall. The common spots seem to vary, see it may require some disassembly + investigation.

White99GAGT
12-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Alright just wanted to give you guys an update. I investigated more last weekend and soaked up even more water. My cousin also stopped by to lend a hand and one problem area he noticed was the grommet where the hood release cable comes through the firewall. It appers that the grommet was pulled in more then it should be and wasn't sealing at all. Leading to a potential culprit where water may run in, so grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled it back out. I then continued to soak up as much as water as possible and wait for the next rain fall. Fast forward to now, it has been on and off raining and so far the carpet apprears to be dry. So I am going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best as it continues to rain.

P.S. After resealing the tail lights, the trunk is no longer collecting water as well.