Still overheating. HELP!!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Still overheating. HELP!!!!

ihatemygrandamg
11-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Well right before I changed my lim gasket my car began to overheat. I would have to be easy on the throttle until the car got warmed up or the car would go up to 260* and run REALLY sluggish and my exhuast would get really loud. Then after a min it would go back to normal.

I flushed my coolant and changed my tstat, and it still overheated. I ran the car with no coolant cap, heater on 5, and and loosened the bleeder screw and let some coolant out to bleec it. Now do I have to crain the coolant completely and take out the valve screw to correctly bleed the system? I think it may just have an air pocket due to the car running really sluggish when this happens, but I also get a traction off light?

Could this be caused by something wrong with one of my sensors or something? I have an MMS pcm but never got a case learn due to not getting an ses light.
should I go ahead and get the case learn even after a few months?

And one more question. Is it possible to remove the lim without removing the rear valve cover? Only the top 2 bolts hold it to the lim,the other 2 are in the head.Im not doing the gasket again, just wanna get a ported lim and it would save me alot of time and work not having to do this.

Thanks for your time everyone

H.O. Driver
11-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Are your cooling fans coming on? That seems to be a consistant problem with the 99 model year. Other than that the only thing I can think of is the spikes in engine temp maybe from air bubbles in the system. After some driving and checking of the coolant level they will work themselves out of the system through the overfill tube on the coolant tank.

lvemy3100
11-13-2006, 11:21 AM
sounds like no fans.....

ihatemygrandamg
11-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Actually my fans are fine and they even stay on after the car shuts off with my pcm.

lvemy3100
11-13-2006, 12:27 PM
HMMM.. funky.. you should get the case learn done but I'm not sure why you would still be overheating after everything you have done... also I cant see why the case learn would have anything to do with a over heating problem...

Sprucegagt
11-13-2006, 01:03 PM
HMMM.. funky.. you should get the case learn done but I'm not sure why you would still be overheating after everything you have done... also I cant see why the case learn would have anything to do with a over heating problem...

*iagree* Case learn shouldn't be the cause of your problem. Something I just thought of. Check your coolant return line going from your tstat housing to the overflow tank. I'm wondering if it may be plugged and/or clogged and not letting the system vent properly.

ihatemygrandamg
11-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Yea I didnt think the pcm would have anything to do with it. Im gonna bleed my coolant and check that line, and if it still overheats Im gonna change my waterpump.

Sprucegagt
11-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Are you still using the original pressure cap? If so I would change it before the waterpump, because an unpressurized cooling system would cause overheating problems as well.

ihatemygrandamg
11-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Hmm I heard of that but wasnt really sure how much of a problem that could cause. Guess Ill search ebay for one.

ihatemygrandamg
11-14-2006, 02:34 AM
Well I bled my system and still overheats. I also was an idiot and wasnt careful and broke the damn bleeder screw head off cause its so small. I may try to get a new coolant resevoir cap, and Im gonna replace the waterpump. If that still doesnt help then I guess Ill maybe check out the radiator to look for cracks or anything.

JohnnyB4439
11-14-2006, 04:40 PM
It sounds like your really hating your grand am now, hence from the screen name.

angrysk8r
11-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Well I bled my system and still overheats. I also was an idiot and wasnt careful and broke the damn bleeder screw head off cause its so small. I may try to get a new coolant resevoir cap, and Im gonna replace the waterpump. If that still doesnt help then I guess Ill maybe check out the radiator to look for cracks or anything.

If you want to do a quick check to see if the coolant system is pressurizing/see if the cap is still good, warm up the car, pop the hood, and with a rag, sloowly and very carefully upen the coolant resivoir cap, if you hear air rushing out then chances are it is pressurizing and the cause may be elsewhere

Also check the t-stat and make sure it's working properly, replace if necessary (cheap and easy).

ihatemygrandamg
11-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Yea I replaced my tstat twice to see if that was the problem, but wasnt it. I thought about trying one of those fail safe tstats but idk. Ill try doing that with the cap.