Is my GT Dying????? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is my GT Dying?????

bgt421
11-13-2006, 11:46 PM
I may just be paranoid, but how bad does this sound?

I just rounded the 115k mark in my 2001 GAGT, when driving back to school I blew a 1cm hole in one of my radiator hoses. I managed to strech the hose back on past the leak, but I had to mix garden variety coolant with my dexcool, because that was all the corner store in Nowhere, MS had. Having been told never to do this, I went that week(two weeks and 900 mi ago), to get a coolant flush that was probably due anyway, only to be told that I have the infamous LIM leak. The tech at the GM dealership said I would be fine for a while, and that highway driving and such would be kosher until the problem got worse, and I would know when that was.

I spent most of this weekend on the road for 500 miles total, spread out over friday through monday, and I drove in this morning about 180mi with no problems whatsoever, arriving at about 8:30am. I went to start my car this afternoon(4:45) for an errand and noticed that the idle wasn't smooth like usual; the tone and rpm oscillated, and at first the tach was reading about 1.5k(usually 900 at idle), but then it dropped down to normal. Sometimes upon starting there's a brief "high idle" period of <60secs; this lasted minutes. When I got back in my car to leave an hour later, my GA didn't start. It turned over, even acted like it was getting fuel, but was "rough" then died. A second attempt got it to start, but with the same rough idle problems as before. I've had some non-starts every once in a while(where the starter's turning but the engine isn't engaging) but usually a second bump on the ignition starts it right up. I've never had this kind of pseudo/rough start before.

The idle is cyclical, and standing away sounds normal, until one is under the hood, in the car, or listening to the exhaust, all of which are rough. In the driver's seat I can even feel a slight vibration. Is this a result of the LIM, or is it a fuel problem somewhere else? Worse, could I have coolant leaking into my cylinders like the GM tech said could happen? Or, perhaps is it just miles on an American vehicle?

...or am I just freaking out due to my horrible luck with vehicles?

Thanks...

Sprucegagt
11-14-2006, 12:26 AM
First off check your oil dip stick. The oil should have a black to transparent brown look to it. If it has a milky look then you have a serious problem. The LIM gasket is gone and must be changed ASAP.

As for the rough idle, I don't think it's LIM associated. Instead when was the last time you changed your fuel filter and/or had your injectors cleaned? Is the air filter clean? I/We need more details on your maintenance history to try to come up with an answer to this problem.

pauljs75
11-14-2006, 01:08 AM
If the intake manifold (gasket?) is going and leaking coolant, you're also likely to have a white exhaust - even when it's not all that cold out. At least mine did before the work was done.

LoboMan7409
11-14-2006, 02:36 PM
I would start by checking the dip stick, that is how I found my coolant leak

bearcat
11-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Do you have steam coming from your exhaust? That would be evident even before you see your oil become mocha colored.

Sprucegagt
11-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Do you have steam coming from your exhaust? That would be evident even before you see your oil become mocha colored.

That depends heavily on the type of leak you have. Plus the catalytic converter can hide the vapor until it becomes a major problem.

Usually with LIM gasket failures you'll see the oil become milky first.

ihatemygrandamg
11-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Sounds like a regular day for my car lol

bgt421
11-15-2006, 12:04 AM
There is sporadically white exhaust, but no milky oil... yet.I'm watching it, though, because the optimist in me is hoping that it's merely the weather getting cold, although I don't think it's cold enough yet for visible exhaust. Would white smoke mean that the gasket is dire?

The air filter is good, and I'm changing the fuel filter tomorrow, and going to run some Seafoam and Octane 93 through the tank after that, so we'll see about the idle. While I'm there, I'm probably going to go for an oil change too...

I wish I could give the full service history, but I just bought this thing in June, so there aren't many particulars I know about it. It seems pretty well kept up though. I've done the basic maintenence required, i.e. oil change, etc. but nothing remotely non-routine, save for a wheel hub.

Thanks for the input, it's a relief to have answers! :-)

Sprucegagt
11-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Next time you see the smoke. See if there is any blue haze to it.