interested in modding my car [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : interested in modding my car

Knightryder
11-14-2006, 07:13 AM
I have a 99 GT with SD Ram Air Hood and custom CAI. I'd like to get the S&S headers, they look great, seen pics on someone's car, heard good things. I want the SC/T Body Kit, and a nice exhaust. Here's a few exhaust websites I found, wondering if anyone has the system and their thoughts on it. Since everyone has the SLP system, which seems to be easier with the headers.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA5001/GA/Borla+Cat-back+Exhaust+System.html

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?year=1999&make=PN&model=GRAM--008&category=All&part=Performance%20Exhaust%20System&dp=true

http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/borla_cat-back_exhaust_system/bor-14821/

I like the single tips on each side, instead of the normal duals. Any good exhaust tip websites?

From there, body kit, exhaust, headers.....it's all in how much I wanna spend on my car. If I do wanna do more, I'd like to get the HD tranny swap from Milzy. Crankshaft pulley from http://www.fastfwdperformance.com/, is the alternator pulley even worth buying? P & P Upper and Lower intakes, and QUESTION. If i get the tranny, intakes, MAYBE cam, and I wanna get heads from http://60degreev6.com/store/index.php, instead of Milzy's heads for $850, will that all work together? If just intakes and not cam or heads, maybe the Granatelli MAF Sensor and Throttlebody. And is the 62mm better for the P & P intakes, or 65mm?

Mainly wondering what exhaust I should get, bc I really want the S&S headers. And like I said it's all in how much I wanna put in my car. I honestly don't ever want to get rid of it, hate to see someone else driving it. I'd like to just put some power in it, and if ever the money is looking just right, brand new GTP Engine? ...Can Milzy swap one of his supercharged engines in a grand am? how much would that cost on top of 3 or 4 grand?

Knightryder
11-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Milzy's performance packages are great sounding, any thoughts or does anyone have the package. I loove the stage 3 and turbocharged GA's! =)

coupe
11-14-2006, 07:21 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57039

mightypan42
11-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Looks like you're headed in the right direction. *welcome*

Knightryder
11-14-2006, 07:28 AM
thanks =)

Knightryder
11-14-2006, 07:59 AM
what exhaust, are all those applicable for my car?

mightypan42
11-14-2006, 08:10 AM
yup.

btw, read through the FAQ that coupe posted, and there's a Search button up near the top of every page. Basically any question you can think up about these cars has been asked and answered here.

AaronGTR
11-14-2006, 10:07 AM
what exhaust, are all those applicable for my car?

The first link to PFYC is a borla exhaust and the third link is the same exhaust but they don't have the correct picture. It looks like the pic on pfyc's website. The second link has two exhausts... the first I've never seen and it doesn't say what brand it is so I don't know. The second one is the pacesetter monza exhaust which is brand new. There's a big thread about it pacesetter exhaust (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64712).

Any of them would be a good way to go. So would the SLP if you can get your hands on any leftovers. Anyway, you're on the right track. CAI, exhaust, and headers are the three easiest, most effective, highest power gaining mods to start out with on these cars. After that a tuned pcm and thermostat, and a lot of people call it quits right there because thats good for 14's. Welcome to the site and enjoy!:wave:

Vegeta
11-14-2006, 11:42 AM
3500 top end swap.

Ajaxus
11-14-2006, 11:51 AM
lol, nice one ben

Rich
11-14-2006, 12:10 PM
hey, oregon, cool. welcome.

mr_eh
11-14-2006, 12:19 PM
before you start modding, what exactly are you looking to accomplish?

if you dont mind spending 5000$ to go low 14s then knock yourself out

If you want to bash, then take it somewhere else.

Knightryder
11-14-2006, 09:33 PM
thanks guys...so the only real borla is the one on pfyc? ..i know it's cheaper on other sites. the other two exhaust systems were what i wanted more. bummer if they're not the right pics, oh well. annnd why would you wanna stop at 14's? what kind of gains would the 3500 top end offer? is anything more worthy over something else? ....and yes boring oregon, ohio =( i don't see really any SOOPED up ga's. I'd like to be the first or second if one does exist around me

LukeD
11-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Also a cheaper exhaust and one many on here like is the SLP cat-back exhaust. Unfortunately they recently stopped selling them but if you look on the "for sale" section of these boards you may come across it.

mr_eh
11-14-2006, 11:54 PM
why stop at 14s?

lets see how many n/a grand ams are in the 13s... 1... 13.991

timberwoof
11-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey how does this sound for an exhaust set up. Because I don't like loud ricey sounded farting pipes on cars will this make it sound okay?

SS headers, flex pipe, dynamax cat, resognator (for a quieter sound), flowmaster 80 seriers to a y-pipe, dual out to dual tips.

Any thoughts and what do you think the gains will be?

LukeD
11-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Hey how does this sound for an exhaust set up. Because I don't like loud ricey sounded farting pipes on cars will this make it sound okay?

SS headers, flex pipe, dynamax cat, resognator (for a quieter sound), flowmaster 80 seriers to a y-pipe, dual out to dual tips.

Any thoughts and what do you think the gains will be?

That'll give you good gains but you need to upgrade to 2.5" exhaust from the headers back for best results. This would include somehow buying just the custom bent cat-to-muffler setup from a Borla or SLP setup and then substituting the Flowmaster 80 muffler if you wish. For best results keep everything 2.5" though IMO.

Might not be worth it to upgrade to 2.5" headers only to funnel it into a 2.25" exhaust.

Vegeta
11-15-2006, 03:46 AM
The 3500 top end is the best setup you can use on a 3400 at this time. Im working on a modified set that should yield even better results. Its also cheaper than going with a fully ported 3400 head/manifold set. Check the other thread for the simulations. There is only 1 person on this site with the swap done but its not tuned yet to get some valid results.

AaronGTR
11-15-2006, 11:38 AM
thanks guys...so the only real borla is the one on pfyc? ..i know it's cheaper on other sites. the other two exhaust systems were what i wanted more. bummer if they're not the right pics, oh well. annnd why would you wanna stop at 14's? what kind of gains would the 3500 top end offer? is anything more worthy over something else? ....and yes boring oregon, ohio =( i don't see really any SOOPED up ga's. I'd like to be the first or second if one does exist around me

I didn't say that was the only real borla exhaust, I just said the other site was using the wrong pic. ;) They are probably selling the same borla exhaust as pfyc, just using a universal picture. I just told you that so you'd know what the borla will actually look like if you get it. :)

You don't have to stop at 14's either, I just said most people do because to get lower than a high or mid 14 you have to start spending more significant money. Beyond the mods I already mentioned, you start getting into things like ported heads, cams, bigger injectors and custom tuning, drag radials etc. It's that or boost or nitrous, which again is more money. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how effectively you modd. We have learned so much about these cars in the last two years that people are running low 14's for half of what it used to cost. It's still not cheap though.

Knightryder
11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
yea im really glad the GA is getting some better performance recognition. My mom has an 05 mustang gt and my bro has an 06 mustang gt. soo, I'm always hearing my car isn't a car to put power into cause it's not a v8, mustang blah. 300hp would be nice in a GA. I don't plan on it, money=wise, but it'd be really somethin

Knightryder
11-15-2006, 02:09 PM
How do i post pics of my car? I don't think I have a good email setup =(

Knightryder
11-15-2006, 02:13 PM
anyone have aim or myspace?

pyro
11-15-2006, 02:15 PM
How do i post pics of my car? I don't think I have a good email setup =(
upload them to www.imagevenue.com or
www.photobucket.com and link them here, or use the attachments feature
anyone have aim or myspace?
if you go into your user CP you can add your aim handle under your name...notice under peoples user info the orange aim icon, click on it for their handle.

Vegeta
11-15-2006, 02:51 PM
That is exactly how you should mod your car. Do your research and see what other peope are doing. Some people with boost are getting beat by NA. How you go about setting up an engine for performance is a lot more dependent on the system as a whole working together vs the hottest cam with the biggest ports and the largest injectors you can tune together.

Like I said, 3500 top end swap. When people started putting the gen 3 parts on gen 2 engines, it was a big increase in power. The gen 2 manifolds were made for low end torque, with power dropping hard at 5000. The gen 3 setup would go to 6000 and love it. That was the early gen 3. 3400s are the later gen 3 with large ports and a larger intake valve. That was again, a great improvement over the early gen 3 and we have powerbands going to 7000. Im not saying you gotta rev it way up to get power, but you certainly can:)

Gen 4 is another major step forward for 60V6 pushrod performance. The 3500 engine will be in production 4 years. Its all going to be VVT and variable intake manifolds, which is awesome but the $$$ goes up with that. Bang for the buck, gen 4 top end swap is where its at.

Knightryder
11-15-2006, 06:21 PM
thanks pyro and vegeta

Knightryder
11-15-2006, 06:21 PM
first things first, i want an exhaust

timberwoof
11-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Looks like most of the guys here either start or started with a CAI and exhaust then work into the intake mani's and heads. Don't forget the PCM (tuning is your friend). If you want to go bigger HP, turbo or supercharge is a good route. I konw what I want, just don't have the money for it.

Knightryder
11-16-2006, 10:58 PM
I was thinking about buying a pulley for now?? is that worth buying. I get paid tomorrow and i was just gonna take some money out and buy one. any real gains, 5-10hp? FFP or RSM? little help, thanks guys

Knightryder
11-16-2006, 10:59 PM
whats the best pcm to get and when is it neccessary to need one to start tuning?

Knightryder
11-16-2006, 11:00 PM
sorry if this has been asked or anything else i may wanna know about

pyro
11-16-2006, 11:02 PM
not to be a chode, but seriously there are a jillion threads on all of this. just search...
for the pwm go to www.pfyc.com and get the DHP

timberwoof
11-16-2006, 11:03 PM
CHODE <--- HEHE haven't heard that in a long while....

Vegeta
11-17-2006, 04:53 AM
FFP pulley.