Car won't start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

cmtapanes
11-15-2006, 08:32 AM
All right, I look around before I ask the question and from searching around I decided to change the key cylinder thinking that could be the PASSLOCK but the car won't start. I have sparks and the engine turns. Is not getting fuel to the engine and the fuel pump is working as well.

My friends is telling me that is the computer because he plug the computer to his computer and he's not getting any reading. I have the Digital Horsepower PCM.

I drove the car to the gas station and when I try to start the car again the car won't start; like I say the engine turns, I have fuel, battery if fine and the fuel pump is fine but is not pumping gas to the engine and my friend is telling me that the PCM is the problem.

Any sugestions?

coupe
11-15-2006, 08:35 AM
I cant imagine it being the PCM.

I wouldnt doubt the fuel filter is clogged.

cmtapanes
11-15-2006, 09:37 AM
The filter is fine. My friend is telling me that there's no power going to the fuel pump and he check the relay for the pump and the relay is just fine. That's why is telling me is the PCM.

Edit: when he plugs his computer (scanner) to the car PCM is not communicating. And he tested the pump and the pump works. Is just not getting power to the pump

Lab Rat
11-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Is your security light on? Or flashing?

coupe
11-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Im confused, you say the pump is working, then you say the pump isnt getting power. How do you know its fine if its not getting power?
It is very possible your fuel pump is toasted or on its way out.

Have you changed the filter lately?

Sprucegagt
11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
The filter is fine. My friend is telling me that there's no power going to the fuel pump and he check the relay for the pump and the relay is just fine. That's why is telling me is the PCM.

Edit: when he plugs his computer (scanner) to the car PCM is not communicating. And he tested the pump and the pump works. Is just not getting power to the pump

How are you verifying that the relay is okay?

cmtapanes
11-15-2006, 10:55 AM
he tested the fuel pump by connecting the pump to a direct power source and the pump works. The filter is fine 2. He's not able to make connection to the DHP PCM but I just spoke to him and he told me that he was able to connect to another computer on the car (maybe a memory), I'm not sure what computer and he's getting the code u1000.

The relay of the pump is ok.

pyro
11-15-2006, 11:03 AM
he tested the fuel pump by connecting the pump to a direct power source and the pump works. The filter is fine 2. He's not able to make connection to the DHP PCM but I just spoke to him and he told me that he was able to connect to another computer on the car (maybe a memory), I'm not sure what computer and he's getting the code u1000.

The relay of the pump is ok.
sounds exactly like someones car that i used to know. has it been doing this for awhile? it was always trying to turn over but it couldnt. it ended up being the fuel pump going bad. when was the last time you had it and the filter changed out? it might be reading good but it would be on its way out.

cmtapanes
11-15-2006, 11:10 AM
No, this is the first time it happends. Looking around for a defition of code U1000 this is what I found:

This information applies to all GM vehicles Using Class 2 communication.

DTC U1000 or U1255 may set current or history, with or without other DTCs.

These DTCs set when the control module does not receive a message that it was expecting from another control module, and does not know which control module did not send the message.

If the DTC U1000 or U1255 is set in history with other DTCs set current or history, diagnose the other DTCs first.
If the DTC U1000 or U1255 is set current, this usually indicates a module that is currently not communicating or a configuration issue. For example, if the control module is configured for an option (i.e., OnStar, keyless entry, memory mirrors, etc.) that the vehicle does not have, it may expect to receive a message regarding this missing feature. This would usually occur due to the control module being recently replaced and incorrectly set up.
When the DTC U1000 or U1255 is current, the module that is not communicating may not even be listed on the Tech 2 on the Diagnostic Circuit Check /Class 2 Message Monitor list.
If the DTC U1000 or U1255 has set in history without other DTCs, replacing the control module that set the DTC is most likely NOT the solution. The module that has set the code is looking for an input from another module that is not communicating. Because the module did not receive an input that it is expecting to see, it sets a U1000 or U1255 which indicates there was a loss of communications. Look at the customer's concern (i.e., intermittent, erratic tachometer operation). This will probably be a better indication of the control module that is the source of the concern.

pyro
11-15-2006, 11:29 AM
is your pcm plugged in all the way? and all the connections on the fuel pump and cylindar? maybe one of those came loose when you installed it.

Sprucegagt
11-15-2006, 11:32 AM
What have you changed recently on the car? It sounds like the PCM can't find the BCM or another module in the car.

EDIT: Also check your fuses. You may have a short somewhere.

cmtapanes
11-15-2006, 01:07 PM
The PCM was install more than 5 months ago. I already check the fuse box and all the fuses are ok. The car is been taken to another place to be plug and scann the PCM. My friend didn't have the computer the dealer uses.

Edit: I hope I don't have to re-flash the PCM I would lose all the DHP settings.

pyro
11-15-2006, 01:10 PM
The PCM was install more than 5 months ago. I already check the fuse box and all the fuses are ok. The car is been taken to another place to be plug and scann the PCM. My friend didn't have the computer the dealer uses.

Edit: I hope I don't have to re-flash the PCM I would lose all the DHP settings.
dhp offers one free reflash...im not sure what it covers though.

cmtapanes
11-15-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah, I know but if I reflash and I keep having the same problem :(

cmtapanes
11-16-2006, 08:23 AM
I just spoke to my friend and the computer seem to be fine but there's no power getting to the PCM and they are looking to see if there's a wire some where loose. Any one has a suggestion where to look?

pyro
11-16-2006, 08:37 AM
did you check the under-hood fuse block? might be a maxifuse for it...

Sprucegagt
11-16-2006, 08:37 AM
The PCM gets it's power from the underhood fuse block and drivers side fuse block. You can pop out the drivers side fuse block and check the wires to be sure none have come loose. Be gentle when pulling it out because the harness can catch on the dash support framework.

cmtapanes
11-16-2006, 09:30 AM
they have check the fuse box already and all the fuses are fine.

coupe
11-16-2006, 09:36 AM
they have check the fuse box already and all the fuses are fine.

He means check the wires going to the fuse box, not the fuses themselves.

cmtapanes
11-16-2006, 10:25 AM
They found the problem; a connector that's on the driver side kick panel came loose. Could be one that come from the fuse box to the PCM.

Ajaxus
11-16-2006, 10:31 AM
well good to know.

timberwoof
11-16-2006, 10:45 AM
That's good information to know, I'm making a mental note for future reference.

cmtapanes
11-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm glad they found the problem... I missed my car :( GA's may not be the greates car ever but you get emotional attached to your car :)

Firebirdnyc
11-16-2006, 04:52 PM
all you needed to do was a continuity test..that would of def gave you an OL on that circuit.