Heating Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Heating Problems

romanticarmyguy
11-15-2006, 07:48 PM
I have a 99 Grand Am SE with the 3.4 V6 in it. I have been experiencing a lot of heating problems. first of all it has 106,000 miles on the engine. its still running the dex cool. about 2 months ago the waterpump blew and it overheated . i changed it, and it was fine, except in hot weather in traffic it'll hit bout 230 on the temp, hang for bout 1-2 mins then come back down 2 about 210. then all of a sudden about 3 weeks ago the car overheated again. i ended up flushing the whole cooling system, changed the coolant and thermostat, and its still overheating. i can only drive it for bout 10 mins before it starts climbing red line, in the cold bout 15mins. i noticed some bubbles forming along the intake manifold gasket. Could that be the problem, or is there something else? Could it b a problem the first gen 3.4 engines? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

03SilverBullet
11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Hey man,

That is definatly your problem, get it looked at or if you need help with instalation just get ahold of me alrighty

Jesse

lone_wolf025
11-15-2006, 08:29 PM
A bad LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) gasket is THE most common problem with the 3400 engines. Have it fixed (or at least looked at) pronto and consider yourself lucky that it lasted as long as it has. On top of that make sure your fans are working as well.

romanticarmyguy
11-15-2006, 09:35 PM
yeah the fans r kicking on, u can hear them and they r staying on.