Car won't start.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start....

jpca
11-21-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a 00' Grand Am, just wouldn't start one day when I shut it off.

I checked and replaced the fuel relay and then it would start and idle BUT once you touch the gas, it dies... So, I'm thinking fuel filter, so disconnected at fuel filter.

So, here's the question, when I turn on the key and it pumps for about 2 seconds, thats normal when starting to built pressure right? So, if it is unhooked and can't build up pressure. Should the pump keep pumping until you turn off key OR should the pump turn off ofter 2 seconds?????

ANY help would be appreciated, Thank you!

pyro
11-21-2006, 07:50 AM
hmm, IIRC it keeps pumping until it can get pessure, but i dont know alot about the fuel system.

jpca
11-21-2006, 07:58 AM
ok, so that means its security? Because it has fuel cut off....Am I right??

So, that said, I tried to reset security before and didn't work. Does anybody know the proper way to reset security??

nascarnate326
11-21-2006, 09:51 AM
If the security light is blinking, wait like 15 min and try it again. Passlock cuts fuel from the motor. passlock= the devil. Could be the ignition module is going bad. A fair share of people have had problems with passlock. Search for it, i know I started a thread when I joined too. lol :)

Welcome to GAGT

Devo
11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
like said before it could be the iginition module, or im not sure if are GA's have coils but could be them as well

Sprucegagt
11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
I have a 00' Grand Am, just wouldn't start one day when I shut it off.

I checked and replaced the fuel relay and then it would start and idle BUT once you touch the gas, it dies... So, I'm thinking fuel filter, so disconnected at fuel filter.

So, here's the question, when I turn on the key and it pumps for about 2 seconds, thats normal when starting to built pressure right? So, if it is unhooked and can't build up pressure. Should the pump keep pumping until you turn off key OR should the pump turn off ofter 2 seconds?????

ANY help would be appreciated, Thank you!

Yes it is normal. The pump will cycle for about 2 seconds when you first turn the switch on but don't start. It won't run again unless the engine is running or after you tried to start and failed. The PCM does not know what pressure the fuel system is operating at, but if you unhook the fuel pump, it will not see the (electrical) load from the pump and may keep running continuously until it does see a load.

Question for you. Does the pump cycle when you first turn the switch on, but don't start?