Cigarette Lighter Outline Not Working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Lighter Outline Not Working

rockfan0005
11-22-2006, 09:49 AM
So, since I've owned my car (1 and 1/2 years) the cigarette lighter has not worked. I at first thought it was just the cigarette lighter itslef that was screwing up, because I just have had no need to hook up anything there yet.

Unfortunately I have tried drawing power from there through a phone charger and a minifridge, and it has not received any power. I checked and replaced the fuse, but that did not work. I do know tha it is connected in the back, so that's not the problem.

It's coming to the time were it would be very useful to have the cig. lighter for power, so it would be great if you guys could tell me what is/might be the cause of the problem, thanks.

Ajaxus
11-22-2006, 09:54 AM
if it isn't the fuse then it has to be wiring, that's about it.

i would double check the fuse again just to be sure, you can also buy fuses that have a piece on the top that glow when they are blown, if this is a recurring problem it might be something you want to look into getting.

rockfan0005
11-22-2006, 10:15 AM
if it isn't the fuse then it has to be wiring, that's about it.

i would double check the fuse again just to be sure, you can also buy fuses that have a piece on the top that glow when they are blown, if this is a recurring problem it might be something you want to look into getting.
Ok, I just checked it again, and the fuse was blown, so I had 2 extra. I tried one, it sparked and immediately blew the fuse once I put it in. So, I removed it and put in the last spare fuse I had, put it in, pulled it out, was fine. I went in, pressed in the cig. lighter, doesn't work, go out checked the fuse...blown...any reason why their blowing like crazy?

Ajaxus
11-22-2006, 10:39 AM
unhook the battery before replacing the fuse

if it still doesn't work then somehow the wires are crossed

pyro
11-22-2006, 10:43 AM
sounds like you have a grounded power wire...check the cig lighter plug and see if the wires are all in there correctly, and check to make sure the insulation isnt torn somewhere on the power wire.

also, check whatever else is on that fuse, i cant remember off hand what it is, but it could be one of those other things...

Ajaxus
11-22-2006, 10:50 AM
still unhook that battery before you poke around tho, no need to have an accident if you can avoid it.

pyro
11-22-2006, 10:53 AM
i wouldnt bother with that...its all behind a fuse anyways. if you pull the fuse theres not hot wires to work with.

Rich
11-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Ok, I just checked it again, and the fuse was blown, so I had 2 extra. I tried one, it sparked and immediately blew the fuse once I put it in. So, I removed it and put in the last spare fuse I had, put it in, pulled it out, was fine. I went in, pressed in the cig. lighter, doesn't work, go out checked the fuse...blown...any reason why their blowing like crazy?

same thing happened to me. might want to check if you have the right cig. lighter. apparently, the one i had wasnt from a GA and every time it was in, it touched some metal and blew the fuse. maybe try taking out the cig. lighter, change the fuse, and plug in something else and see what happens.

rockfan0005
11-22-2006, 01:39 PM
same thing happened to me. might want to check if you have the right cig. lighter. apparently, the one i had wasnt from a GA and every time it was in, it touched some metal and blew the fuse. maybe try taking out the cig. lighter, change the fuse, and plug in something else and see what happens.
that's really weird, ill go get some fuses either tonight or tomorrow and give that a shot, if that's it that would be awesome, as i have no need whatsoever for the actual cig. lighter.

pyro and ajaxus thanks for the help, after I get more fuses ill check it out further.

Molson
11-22-2006, 03:00 PM
make sure there isn't something in the lighter hole, like a dime, or little piece of metal that can short it out.

Ajaxus
11-22-2006, 05:28 PM
i wouldnt bother with that...its all behind a fuse anyways. if you pull the fuse theres not hot wires to work with.

true, but you and i both told him to check the wiring as well.

tenspeed
11-23-2006, 01:32 AM
As mentioned before, there two basic type of lighters. The one for the GA has a 3/4" barrel. The longer one is 1". If you stick the long one in, it makes a direct short and blows the fuse.

I found this out by getting the wrong lighter. Try out the new fuse with your charger, not a lighter.

canadian_racer
11-23-2006, 04:27 AM
Make sure you are using the correct fuse if the fuse it too weak it will blow immediatly

rockfan0005
11-27-2006, 10:29 PM
problem solved, it was just the stupid cig lighter, i took it out, put in a new fuse and put my mini-fridge in...started right up, glad it was something so simple

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-19-2007, 04:06 PM
can you or is it okay to put a larger fuse in place of the 20 amp fuse that's in my 2000 gagt for the cigarette lighter and other things that run off it .