Interesting electrical problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting electrical problem

amerpwr
11-25-2006, 08:43 AM
well I had to put a new engine in my car (2.4) and its from Japan(got it from a place that imports them from japan and resells them here for cheap i think i payed like $600 for it) but after we installed it and got most of the plugs hooked up (had a few that were different so a few not plugged in) but the engine starts and runs good until the battery dies because the alternator apparently isnt running the engine the battery is. So we tested the alternator with a voltmeter and its getting nothing from the car. We then took it off the car and took it to Advance Auto and they tested it on their machine and told us it passed the tests. So we went back and put it back on the car and still nothing. The only way we got the car to stay running is to run a piece of wire directly from the battery to the alternator. The wire does the job but i was wondering if anyone knew wat the problem could be? And also anyone know where i can get a new wiring harness from the fuse box under the hood to my headlights cuz those were damaged when we swapped engines?

canadian_racer
11-25-2006, 09:04 AM
How/why in the hell would you get a GM engine from Japan?

digitalballz
11-25-2006, 07:11 PM
cuz it was 600 bucks! thats hella cheap! If I was broke I would do the same thing. Besides whats really NOT made somewhere in Asia anyway!! lol As for the problem, just double check everything to make sure you didnt forget to plug anything in that has to do with charging system.

canadian_racer
11-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Thats not cheap, I can get a complete engine assembly from a wrecker with less than 60KM for $850 CAD, thats about the same price. But yes, just check all the conectors, It is a 2.4 from a Grand Am right...

tenspeed
11-26-2006, 06:48 AM
. The only way we got the car to stay running is to run a piece of wire directly from the battery to the alternator. The wire does the job but i was wondering if anyone knew wat the problem could be?

You answered your own question. Check the wires, I think they meet at the starter.
Is that where the fusable link is, between the alt. and the starter? That could be blown and still look good. Check it with a meter.

You can repair the damaged headlight wires by splicing in new wire to replace the damaged section. Either solder or in-line splices filled with RTV to keep water out.

polo77
11-26-2006, 12:42 PM
maybe a bad ground? i replaced the alternator and battery once only to find out it was a bad ground

digitalballz
11-26-2006, 07:11 PM
It is cheap for a brand new motor. I can get a motor from the junkyard for dirt cheap, but what are you really getting?? Someone elses headache!

amerpwr
11-27-2006, 12:38 PM
thanks guys ill have to tell my dad to check all that stuff next time i talk to him cuz hes the one workin on my car