Air Bag Light stays on even after replacing SDM Module... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Light stays on even after replacing SDM Module...

chesee48
11-25-2006, 11:29 AM
So heres the story...About 3 months ago i got into a accident and the car went into the ditch...it stopped side ways...air bags didnt go off....but there was water that got into the carpet on both sides and obviously messsed up the module and destroyed it. Well i changed out the module and the air bag light stays on. Could it be that the connector-plug got fryed or messed up too? Otherwise what could it be?

The car is a 99 GT...

Any help would be great! thanks!

iceman
11-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Get the code read, you'll need someone w/ a tech-2 or a scan tool that communicates with the airbag module

chesee48
11-25-2006, 03:33 PM
yea its still showing the same code...the sdm module

lastyear4gt
11-25-2006, 03:45 PM
most likely the connector. Remove the connector and check for corrosion in the terminals.

chesee48
11-25-2006, 04:32 PM
most likely the connector. Remove the connector and check for corrosion in the terminals.

do they sell just the connector?>

Malaclypse
11-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Wait a second. What code was thrown? Deployment Commanded?

If any of the airbag sensors tripped they have to be replaced as well otherwise the system won't work. Also, if you replace the SDM you have to get it programmed to the vehicle at a dealership.

chesee48
11-30-2006, 02:21 AM

If any of the airbag sensors tripped they have to be replaced as well otherwise the system won't work. Also, if you replace the SDM you have to get it programmed to the vehicle at a dealership.

The code that was thrown was the sdm module.

I didnt know that the SDM had to be programmed. Should only be 1hr of labor?

chesee48
12-22-2006, 03:19 AM
it has to be programmed if you change the module and even if the air bags didnt deploy right?

iceman
12-22-2006, 03:49 AM
yep

If you replaced the SDM, perform the following procedure in order to update the BCM with the new SDM part number:

Important
The AIR BAG indicator may remain ON after the SDM is replaced. After programming the SDM part number into the BCM, cycle the ignition switch OFF and ON. This turns OFF the AIR BAG indicator and clears the DTC.

Install a scan tool.
Select the Special Functions option from the SIR Menu and press enter.
Select the Setup SDM Part Number in BCM option and press enter.
Follow the procedure on the scan tool display.
Cycle the ignition switch OFF and ON.

chesee48
12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Is this a certian scan tool or only one that a dealer would have?

yep

iceman
12-22-2006, 03:28 PM
tech 2 my friend, dealer