Should I junk or fix it ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Should I junk or fix it ?

GAGTS
11-27-2006, 09:57 PM
I have a 2001 GAGT that just turned 60K. While I was driving down the high =way last weekend I noticed the temperature gage never moved (reading cold). Thinking there must be something wrong with the gage I kept driving until I got home. The coolant resorvior was full, but not hot. The engine made a "crackling sound" as it cooled down. Then I noticed anti-freeze gushing from the passenger side engine bay. Using a miror I suspect it's coming from a blown head gasket, either from a bad water pump, or thermostat. Is it worth fixing, or should I just junk it ?

badboy2451
11-27-2006, 10:16 PM
yea its worth fixing, im going to bank on it being a bad water pump and a bad sending unit for your t-stat

shouldn't be very hard to fix, i believe my water pump was like $50 or sumthin and i put it in by myself

canadian_racer
12-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Its your thermostat they are cheap and easy to replace. Its stays cold cause when the thermostat failed it stayed open to prevent the engine from over heating, but because its always open the coolant never heats up. Just search it, I'm sure someone has detailed instructions on how to replace it.

nascarnate326
12-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Replace both if you have the cash to do so. Should be an afternoons worth of work, but at least its not LIM.....yet.

LoboMan7409
12-05-2006, 12:31 PM
If you think its the head gasket check your oil and see if there is coolant in with it