Cylinder 2 misfire, new plugs/wires, no heat, no moisture in the pan??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder 2 misfire, new plugs/wires, no heat, no moisture in the pan???

jduce
12-04-2006, 06:35 PM
I ran a search and read most of the posts on this problem, but I wanted to ask you guys some specific questions.

I have a 99 Grand Am GT 3.4. Over the last week my SES light came on and it turned out to be a cylinder 2 misfire and I also had no heat! I assumed bad plugs/wires so I changed those. The car was fine for 2 days then all the sudden I had no heat again and my engine was running close to 220 degrees then dropping back to normal 195-200 and gave me a little heat out of my vents. The SES light came back on.

Sometimes the SES light will flash after I start the engine then go solid after the car warms up.

I figured a manifold leak but the oil is clean in the pan as I just changed that as well. I noticed a little moisture on my oil cap though.

Is it possible that I'm getting coolant in my #2 cylinder and it's just burning it off?

If that is the case... what would I repair and how costly would it be???

Please help!

canadian_racer
12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Pull the plug and see if it has burned crap on it that will tell you.

pyro
12-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Pull the plug and see if it has burned crap on it that will tell you.
*iagree*

jduce
12-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Come to think of it, the number 2 plug was black, definetely different from the others. So, would I need to get the cylinder 2 replaced? If so, what does that entail?

Thanks for the quick replies.

canadian_racer
12-04-2006, 07:04 PM
You cant repace the cylinder, you have to figure out whats causing it than fix the problem.

jduce
12-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Ok thanks... this sounds out of my league. So I'll take it to the repair shop.

canadian_racer
12-04-2006, 07:18 PM
If its black carbon build up caused by the plug firing at the wrong time, check the timing.

Panacea
12-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Could be a clogged fuel injector. My car had problems with clogged injectors. Throw some seafoam through the PCV valve and see if that doesn't help. It may be stuck open (or shut) and may need to be replaced.

canadian_racer
12-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Just replace the PCV valve its only a couple of bucks.

XtremeGaGt00
12-04-2006, 08:42 PM
if your service engine soon light was flashing...that means that there is too much fuel and is catalytic converter damaging...i think you either have a injector sticking ope, yes it does happpen, or maybe you cracked a plug or cut a wire by accident?just some possibilities...

canadian_racer
12-04-2006, 08:47 PM
A plug wire could have been burned by the exhaust, happened to a guy I know.

Sprucegagt
12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Sounds like you have an injector dripping. This will foul the plug and make it misfire. That's why your "Service Engine Soon" light is flashing. It will do that whenever the PCM senses a constant misfire.

canadian_racer
12-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Just for future reference whats the best way to solve that?

Sprucegagt
12-04-2006, 10:44 PM
An easy way to verify it is the switch the injector with another know good injector. Say from another cylinder. Then run the car and see if the misfire has moved with the injector.

canadian_racer
12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Once you know what injector it is how would you fix it? Or would it be time for new ones?

Sprucegagt
12-05-2006, 07:34 AM
:nono: I would think common sense would take over then. But when you find the bad injector, you replace it.

canadian_racer
12-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Sorry, every car I've owned before this was carb'd so i guess im a newb to fuel injection.

digitalballz
12-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Every car youve owned??? dude your 19 how many cars have you owned??

Malaclypse
12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
You could try an injection flush at a reputable shop. No I don't mean Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube or any place like that.

Injector flushes will clear up 95% of clogged injectors. Whether it needs one or two flushes done. The only case that it doesn't help is if there's trash in the fuel rail side of the injector clogging its inlet. That requires replacement and a fuel system de-contamination (read: expensive).

Most often an injection flush will do the trick. Besides, its a pain to switch injectors in these cars just for test purposes. If it was a pickup with a 5.3 or an Ecotec it'd be a piece of cake. But removing the UIM just to switch injectors and possibly having to do it again is freakin' pointless IMO. Might as well go after the tips with aerosol Top Engine cleaner while you're there and take care of it.