Dashboard lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard lights

table
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Driving my car to work this morning everything was fine. I don't normally drive with my headlights on in the city just the daytime lights.

Anyway after making a turn I look down at my dashboard and notice the lights are out - only the clock is illuminated.

When I turn on the parking lights or headlights the dashboard lights back up but as soon as I put it back to just the daytime lights the dashboard goes out.

After I got to work I checked my car:

- I turned the car on - the dashboard was not illuminated - the clock was illuminated - the overhead lamp works - got out of the car and checked - the daytime lights were not on

- I turned on the parking lights - the clock dims but is still illuminated - the dashboard is now illuminated - got out of the car and checked - both parking lights were on

- I turned on the head lights - the clock is still illuminated - the dashboard is still illuminated - got out of the car and checked - both head lights were on

- I turned on the high beams - the clock is still illuminated - the dashboard is still illuminated - got out of the car and checked - both high beams were on

i'm not very good with cars but it seems that replacing a bulb or fuse shouldn't be too difficult of a problem to fix

doesn't look like it's a problem with the bulbs considering the above

if this is a fuse problem - where is the fuse located and how exactly to you go about replaceing one? what does a novice need to know?

any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated

pyro
12-06-2006, 09:05 AM
sounds to me like you lights are operating properly.

table
12-06-2006, 09:12 AM
sounds to me like you lights are operating properly.

this was early this morning - still dark - the dashboard has never gone out before

pyro
12-06-2006, 09:26 AM
your auto lights were turning off and your DRL's were kicking in. The dash lights work in conjunction with the parking/headlights.

table
12-06-2006, 09:40 AM
your auto lights were turning off and your DRL's were kicking in. The dash lights work in conjunction with the parking/headlights.

so this is normal?

i've never had my dashboard go out while driving the car in the dark before - can't see anything on the instrument panel

pyro
12-06-2006, 09:52 AM
so this is normal?

i've never had my dashboard go out while driving the car in the dark before - can't see anything on the instrument panel
yep, normal. just turn your headlights on. ;)

table
12-06-2006, 11:57 AM
i checked my fuses with a friend at lunch and they seem to be fine

i'm not sure i understand how it would be a fuse or a bulb if the dashboard lites come one when you turn the signal arm to parking lights or regular lights.
if it were the fuse or bulb, then it would never come on right?

pyro
12-06-2006, 04:35 PM
correct. its the same in any car...when the headlights arent on, the dash lights arent on.

grandgt
12-12-2006, 05:02 PM
i had my fuse blow on me twice for my dashboard lights

and everytime i got SVS light to come on
if yours did turn on then yes might be ur fuse

if not then i dunno