Key Cylinder / Theft Sys problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Key Cylinder / Theft Sys problem

Jonnymac
12-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Having unusual trouble with my ignition key cylinder.

I pulled the key out when it was in "on" position and the battery out. When I reconnected the battery the "theft sys" light was on solid (not blinking).

Reseting it didn't work and I figured I messed up the tumblers in the cylinder. Bought a new one, took it to a locksmith to match my key - but still not working. The "theft sys" light is always on - doesn't blink and never goes out.

Also, to complicate things, The locksmith confirmed they sold me a cylinder for a manual transmission (I have an automatic). He said he thinks he matched everything up. How big of a problem is that? I guess I could return it, and pay for another key rematch, but would like to avoid that step. Anyone know the difference between automatic/manual ignition key cylinders?

Thanks - new here and I appreciate all the info in these forums.

nascarnate326
12-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Your talking about the 1996 GASE correct?

Lab Rat
12-07-2006, 05:40 AM
I swapped out the tranny in my car and the auto keyswitch worked fine for the manual. I can't magine there being a difference. But my security light did come on last summer (2 years after the swap) and I still haven't figured out the fix. I thought a new cylinder would fix it. Please keep us updated.

Jonnymac
12-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Well, I feel like an idiot - after re-examining everything I realized I forgot to reconnect the fuel injectors! Tucked the wire away and never noticed. Odd because the symptoms were passkey (theft sys was only light on, wouldn't turn over) so I've been banging my head over that for days while overlooking something else.

Let that be a lesson, always double check all your connections - I've been working on cars for a long time and still missed an obvious problem. I definitely over-thought the whole thing.

But I still have a manual transmission key cylinder in an automatic. I've heard mixed reviews on whether there's a difference. So far so good on that though.