Head Gasket? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket?

jonGT
12-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey guys,

the other day I replaced my Thermostat and ECT sensor becasuse my SES light came on. It had to do with my thermostat (P0128).

Well, now i noticed that there is oil in my coolant tank. And when I checked my oil, it seems a little watery......
Do ya'll think it's my HG or could it be something else???

I really don't know to much on these 3400 V6 LA1's so any advice is totally appreicated....

Thanks

Jon.

lone_wolf025
12-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Could be a leaking LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) gasket. The 3400 is notorious for bad LIMs and I think its safe to say that 95% of us who have that engine have had to replace it at least once.

jonGT
12-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Ok. so i should go ahead and replace it? How long do you think it would take to replace it? I have a login to alldatapro.com (my friend works for a car dealer) so I could get the instructions on how to replace it from there.

coupe
12-09-2006, 03:06 PM
It can take 5-8 hours depending on skill level and experiance of the person doing it.

And yes, fix ASAP.

White_03GT
12-09-2006, 07:10 PM
stop driving it if the oil looks contaminated, the coolant will ruin your bearings

jonGT
12-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Bearings? Which bearings? The reason why I'm asking is because when I first start the car in the moring it makes a tapping noise. But when I drive it for a good 10 minutes or so it goes away.
My oil isn't really watery or anything, I can just tell that coolant is mixing with it...
I been working on cars awhile now, especially my 97 Eclipse so I can tell when oil is contaminated...

Well I talked to my neighbor (He owns a gargage & His own shop) and he said he would do it for me.... So hopefully he can start on it soon.....

In the mean time, I'll just have to drive my TL.... My GT is mostly for me to go to work, so I hope I get it fixed soon.

White_03GT
12-10-2006, 02:01 PM
there are bearings all over the place in your engine, for example on the rocker arms