Exhaust leaking into my coolant??? Please look at my symptoms... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust leaking into my coolant??? Please look at my symptoms...

jduce
12-11-2006, 12:09 PM
My car is in the shop right now.

My symtoms are: My heat gets cool sometimes, I have a cylinder 2 misfire that is very intermitted, SES light mostly stays on solid, and the mechanic is telling me that he did a diagnostic and it came back that I have exhaust leaking into my coolant from inside the engine. (head gasket)

NOTE: I have no visible leaks externally and no contaminated oil

I've changed, plugs/wires, thermostat, topped off coolant, changed oil and filter.

My quote is $1200 for the head gasket job, that includes getting my heads taken to a machine shop for inspection, LIM gasket, UIM gasket, drain/fill oil, drain/fill coolant. He said add $400 each head if those are bad.

He also said that I "may" have a cracked block, but he wouldn't know until he took everything apart...

I'm truly puzzled.

I'm about to take it to my friend's garage and start on it this weekend.

If you guys have any input, please tell.

Thanks

PLUM_72
12-11-2006, 01:00 PM
If its leaking you should have noticed a loss of coolant. Has your low coolant light come on? You indicated that you topped off the coolant.

What did the plugs look like in the potentally leaky cylinders? They should look like they have been steam cleaned if you had a leak. A radiator pressure check may find the leak as well. If its a large head gasket leak you'll have a TON of white smoke with a sweet scent to it. It has been written that if you remove the radiator cap you would see bubbles in the radiator from the combustion pressure/gases with a bad head gasket. I have never seen this and I'm not sure you could see this on a G/A because the Radiator and actual cap is hidden. Removing the exhaust cross-over pipe and inspecting inside the manifold and the pipe might reveal something without pulling the whole motor apart.

Just some suggestions...let us know how it turns out.

coupe
12-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Exhuast in your coolant? Thats a new one.
Do you mean oil is getting into your coolant?

I bet its your LIM gasket, not your head gasket.

jduce
12-11-2006, 01:35 PM
They did a block check on my engine ... He then told me that it had combustion gasses or exhaust fumes in my coolant. What has me puzzled is that my coolant and oil appears to be clean, but no there is no oil in my coolant...

Thanks for all the quick responses

coupe
12-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Is this the only opnion you have gotten?

jduce
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
No , I have taken it to two places ... both telling me that is it a head gasket with no leaks visable on the outside ... saying it has to be an internal leak .
The way they make to me sound to me is they cant pin point the leak so they assume change all gaskets from the head gasket up.

coupe
12-11-2006, 02:22 PM
If that what they wanna do your lookin at some BIG $$$$$$, which you already know lol

I would go for a 3rd opinion lol

The only reason im skeptical is becuase 99.9% of engine leaks on the 3100 or the 3400 is the LIM gasket. Head gaskets giving out are rare on these engines surprisingly but does happen from time to time.

jduce
12-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah im skeptical too... but while I have the engine apart to change the LIM and UIM gaskets , I am gonna go ahead and change the head gaskets as well ... hopefully I wont run into too many problems