Dimmer Switch LED Backing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dimmer Switch LED Backing

awaadster3
12-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Alright i have been searching the forums for 3 days straight and found alotta useful information. But I cannot find clear instructions on changing the bulb behind the dimmer or the switch to an LED.

This is the only picture I found, any help is appreciated

rocketfast123
12-15-2006, 12:16 AM
I just wish my dimmer had a bulb in it.

awaadster3
12-15-2006, 02:18 PM
bump .... any help is appreciated thnx

Sprucegagt
12-15-2006, 02:31 PM
There is no easy way of just converting the bulb over to an LED. When I did it, I just tapped the gray wire and ground then wired a resistor and LED. You either have to make a mount for the LED or glue it into the housing where the bulb was. As for the switch, you have to take it apart. Remove the existing LED and wire in your new led with resistor. It makes for a tight fit, but it is possible. I can let you know which areas to connect your LED after I redo my switch again (damn LED wen't out again). If I fix it this weekend I'll take some pics of it.

awaadster3
12-15-2006, 02:34 PM
There is no easy way of just converting the bulb over to an LED. When I did it, I just tapped the gray wire and ground then wired a resistor and LED. You either have to make a mount for the LED or glue it into the housing where the bulb was. As for the switch, you have to take it apart. Remove the existing LED and wire in your new led with resistor. It makes for a tight fit, but it is possible. I can let you know which areas to connect your LED after I redo my switch again (damn LED wen't out again). If I fix it this weekend I'll take some pics of it.

thnx, for the dimmer did you just buy an led bulb or a prewired led?

awaadster3
12-16-2006, 06:31 PM
should i use 5mm or 3mm leds?

Rich
12-16-2006, 09:35 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35155