Is my Torque Converter Bad? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is my Torque Converter Bad?

Braves299
12-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey everyone,

I have been having this problem with my car for some time now, and I think it's time to get it fixed. When I am in Overdrive, and cruising anywhere from 40-60 MPH, I have a hard time keeping a steady speed, without the car having to down-shift. It's like it just dies down in Overdrive, and the car will jerk really hard when it tries to down-shift.

When I'm on the highway, and I have to go up a mountain, it has a TERRIBLE time downshifting, and the RPM's will jump all over the place. One time it kicked on the SES light, and the code had something to do with the torque converter.

What is happening here?

Also, My car is missing when I accelerate. I just replaced a bad fuel injector (cyl. 3) because it was idling bad and threw a code. It idles fine now, but it misses when I accelerate. I think it might be a bad UIM gasket? Or can this also be related to the torque converter?

Sprucegagt
12-15-2006, 12:49 PM
How old are the plugs, wires and coils? When you changed the injector did you check them as well?

I remember reading that when you have a bad miss, the computer has trouble calculating the correct engine load %. When this happens it can't adjust the line pressure correctly for proper converter lockup operation. So your problems may be related. See about getting the miss fixed first before doing anything else.

Braves299
12-15-2006, 01:18 PM
That sounds kind of promising.

The plugs and wires are only about a year old, and I haven't even driven my car that much in the past year.. Maybe about 5,000 miles.

I'll check on replacing the UIM gaskets first since it's relatively cheap and easy.

atc3434
12-15-2006, 02:18 PM
TPS sensor will cause the tranny to mis-behave as well, but typically doesn't cause bad missing like that.

That sounds kind of promising.

The plugs and wires are only about a year old, and I haven't even driven my car that much in the past year.. Maybe about 5,000 miles.

I'll check on replacing the UIM gaskets first since it's relatively cheap and easy.

GrandAmGT1996
12-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm going to put my money on the wires/plugs. Reason being, about a month ago my moms car was doing the same thing. Replaced that, and now its fine.