What Did I Break on my Caliper? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What Did I Break on my Caliper?

Rich
12-16-2006, 10:26 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/Rich125678/IMG_0496small.jpg

its the one with the rubber cap. the haynes manual doesn't identify what it is, and after dislodging the top half from the socket it doesn't look like a normal bolt. any help would be appreciated.

tenspeed
12-16-2006, 11:27 PM
That looks like the bottom part of the bleeder screw. You turn it to let brake fluid and air out when you bleed the brake lines.

Rich
12-16-2006, 11:34 PM
that would makes sense since it has the hole in the middle. could i just pick a new one up at autozone?

pyro
12-16-2006, 11:48 PM
IIRC yes, but getting it out will be the fun part...just upgrade to f-body brakes while you have it off :p

Rich
12-16-2006, 11:55 PM
yeah im not looking forward to trying to get it out. i have some broken screwgetterouter things so we'll see how it goes. heh, i though about doing the vue upgrade but just getting the screw out will be a cheaper alternative.

NorKoastal
12-17-2006, 01:01 AM
If thats a front caliper I do have the old stocker from my 2000 lying around.. If you cant get out the old screw let me know..

Rich
12-17-2006, 02:39 AM
it is indeed a front caliper. the back ones don't have it on there. i will definitely keep that in mind.

digitalballz
12-17-2006, 03:12 PM
yes the rear calipers do have a bleeder screw. How else would you bleed the rear brakes????

tjc13
12-17-2006, 08:33 PM
yes the rear calipers do have a bleeder screw. How else would you bleed the rear brakes????

It's a SE, you don't bleed drum brakes.

tenspeed
12-17-2006, 09:13 PM
that would makes sense since it has the hole in the middle. could i just pick a new one up at autozone?

You don't really need to replace it unless you need to bleed the brakes. I've gone through a bunch of cars and brake jobs and never had to open those screws.

There is a bleeder screw on drum brakes. How would you bleed the rear lines without them?

Sprucegagt
12-17-2006, 09:16 PM
It's a SE, you don't bleed drum brakes.

:banghead Yes you do bleed drum brakes. The bleeder is on the back of the wheel cylinder either above or below the brake line.

Rich
12-17-2006, 09:51 PM

seeing as how im new to the world of four disc brakes, im sure you're right. when i was looking at the rear calipers they didnt look the same as the ones up front so i assumed.

You don't really need to replace it unless you need to bleed the brakes. I've gone through a bunch of cars and brake jobs and never had to open those screws.

well, i figured since it was broken i should replace it. though, i dont know how easily it would come out under every day wear and tear. since it has the hole exposed wouldn't that affect the brakes negatively?

Sprucegagt
12-17-2006, 10:08 PM
You must replace the caliper or replace the broken bleeder screw. If you don't you will get air in your brake lines, causing a very soft pedal, that wants to go to the floor. When you change the caliper or bleeder screw be sure to at least bleed the brakes at that wheel.

Rich
12-18-2006, 12:09 AM
thanks. as planned i will be trying to get it out on my weekend.

digitalballz
12-18-2006, 07:25 AM
:banghead Yes you do bleed drum brakes. The bleeder is on the back of the wheel cylinder either above or below the brake line.

Thank you!! Sorry I didnt know it was an SE with drum brakes, but they still need to be bled! :applause:

Lab Rat
12-18-2006, 07:48 AM
I bought a rear caliper off a thief that used to be on this board. One of the several problems was a broken rear caliper break bleeder screw. Ended up buying an aftermarket rebuilt caliper at Autozone, 40 bux IIRC. BTW, it's probably broken because it is frozen in there, someone tried to get it out and broke it. It will be very hard to get it out without wrecking something.

AaronGTR
12-18-2006, 08:41 AM
I usually put some anti-seize on the bleeder screws when they are new so that they don't freeze up like that, because over time the aluminum calipers will corrode and tighten up around the steel bleeder screw. Before you try and loosen them you should wire brush all the junk off and spray some penetrating oil around it. Sometimes you have to heat the caliper a bit with a torch to expand the aluminum. If that doesn't work you'll have to get a new caliper.

coupe
12-18-2006, 10:35 AM
How did ya pull that one off Rich?

Rich
12-18-2006, 11:06 AM
being my first brake job and all i wasnt 100% sure on what i was doing. the piston wasnt letting the caliper slide off super easy, so i thought i needed to remove this bolt and here i am. heh. sounds like i may be getting an new caliper.

Molson
12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
good news is they are fairly cheap. I got one last night, 81 CDN (after core)

coupe
12-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I could swore they are like $40 for a rebuilt.
Unless im thinking of a different vehicle.

Dont worry Rich, we have all been there in one way or another.

cmtapanes
12-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Just go to a local junk yard and get the calipers

Rich
12-18-2006, 10:47 PM
I could swore they are like $40 for a rebuilt.
Unless im thinking of a different vehicle.

Dont worry Rich, we have all been there in one way or another.

heh, thanks. its just annoying since its putting me behind. i have a junkyard closer to me than the nearest autozone so ill probably see how much they want for one.

tenspeed
12-19-2006, 12:47 AM
being my first brake job and all i wasnt 100% sure on what i was doing. the piston wasnt letting the caliper slide off super easy, so i thought i needed to remove this bolt and here i am. heh. sounds like i may be getting an new caliper.

If fluid is not coming out of the broken screw when you press on the brake pedal, you do not have to replace the caliper. You need to open it when you bleed the brake line.

It's in the shut position now, does it make any difference if there is a nipple on top of it?

coupe
12-19-2006, 05:03 AM
The nipple shouldnt make a difference, i ussually mess up that nipple on older cars ive done break jobs on and never had anything negative happen.

Sprucegagt
12-19-2006, 06:17 AM
If fluid is not coming out of the broken screw when you press on the brake pedal, you do not have to replace the caliper. You need to open it when you bleed the brake line.

It's in the shut position now, does it make any difference if there is a nipple on top of it?

Why risk it leaking when its simple to replace? When considering what would happen if it did leak, I'd rather pay for a new caliper.