Broken Axle? Quick question. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Broken Axle? Quick question.

klobbs
12-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I was trying to change my knuckle off my driver side, and when tightening down the axle puller (taking the hub off), I noticed that my half shaft was pulling in and out inside the cv boot closest to the tranny. Did I break the cv joint, or is does it move in and out because I took the knuckle off? I'm a newbie to this stuff, but I refuse to take my car in the shop, hence the reliance on you guys.

Thanks!

gectek
12-18-2006, 03:52 PM
ok the cv shaft has a plunge style joint on both ends of the shaft, inboard and outboard. both are covered by grease filled sealed boots. so in answer to your question in case u didnt figure it out, no it isnt broken. the only worries on the cv shafts themselves are torn boots, which can lead to premature joint failure.

the joints on a cv shaft have to be a plunge style instead of a u joint like u see on rwd vehicles is because those wheels also steer the vehicle and they have to flex up and down with the suspension movement. you cant get that type of power transfer along with all range of motion movement in a regular spicer u joint.

so when doing inspections, just look for torn boots or any type of scoring or marks on the shaft itself. also look around the general area for any grease that looks like it was thrown in a specific thin streak, when my boot tore it was everywhere, on my trans, sway bar, engine cradle, fire wall, but thats how i knew it was the cv shaft, because it was just in one spot and in a regular pattern a 2 inch wide strip

klobbs
12-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the quick response! My only concern is that it doesn't seem to be a plunge style on the joint closest to the wheel, it only moves in and out on the joint next to the tranny. Is this normal?

gectek
12-18-2006, 04:19 PM
yes it is normal, it should move in and out, thats what plunges. it should have a little rotational movement also, i.e. around at diff angles. they dont have a huge range of motion, just enough to flex so power is still transfered