Does it matter which way you put a head gasket on? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter which way you put a head gasket on?

jduce
12-20-2006, 05:20 AM
The felpro kit doesn't say "This Side Up" or anything on them so does it matter? I put them on with the blue markings faced up, but when I looked at the old gasket, it seems that the piece of metal in between the rings of the cylinder on the gasket was faced up. I don't know what I was thinking... just that they were symetrical I guess.

Should I buy new gaskets and reinstall? Both heads are torqued down already too... just starting putting exhaust manifolds on.

Also if I reinstall them is it essential to buy new bolts again???

Thanks!

digitalballz
12-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Im not sure if it matters on the 3.4. Next time just look to make sure that there are no holes covered up that shouldnt be, or anything like that. Just by looking you can pretty much tell if they are right or not. As for head bolts you didnt need to buy new ones in the first place, It never hurts, but not NEEDED.

Malaclypse
12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Yes you have to buy new headbolts when you replace head gaskets. They're TTY. That and its rather cheap insurance from having to go back and do the job again just because the bolts stretched a little more this time around and the headgaskets started leaking again.

If you torque them and remove them without running the engine I wouldn't worry about replacing them though.

Sprucegagt
12-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Yes you have to buy new headbolts when you replace head gaskets. They're TTY. That and its rather cheap insurance from having to go back and do the job again just because the bolts stretched a little more this time around and the headgaskets started leaking again.

If you torque them and remove them without running the engine I wouldn't worry about replacing them though.

True! Head bolts on the 3400 are torque to yield, not torque to spec. That means you stretch the bolt on the final torque step. While you could reuse the head bolts again, I wouldn't risk it. When you retorque the bolt, you are stretching it again. Possibly compromising its strength in the process.

bigd4822
12-21-2006, 12:02 PM
With the fel pro gaskets it makes no diff. how you installed them up or down. When I did mine I thought the same thing so I called to see, and was told it don't matter.