Interior Lights dim [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Interior Lights dim

pyro
12-21-2006, 10:21 PM
While sitting at a red light the other day i noticed that when my car idles, the interior lights, including the gauges, dim ever so slightly. As i was sitting there the neon on my capacitor (very annoying as it is, mind you) went out and the volts dropped down to 12 from the usual 15. I started thinking about what it could be. If anyone knows a logical explanation then let me know.
I was thinking it couldn't be the battery because its a redtop and it tested good last time i had it checked, and the alternator is a H/O one so that can't be bad.
It should be the amp that is behind the cap, because it wasn't pumping out anything seeing as how it was off.
I know the capacitor draws current constantly, but if there is nothing behind it then why would it affect the lights inside the car?
I tested it with my domelight revving it up and it gets brighter with higher rpm's, btu iv'e never noticed it before, and i've never been in a car that did this.

Is this normal and i just never noticed it, or is there something i need to check?

Here's what i figured it could be, and tell my if its logical:
1. My wire from my battery to my alternator.
2. My capacitor sucks and is drawing too much current for whatever reason (getting rid of it soon anyways)
3. I need a ground wire kit (dont know if it will help, but worth a try)
4. i'm crazy and this is normal.

doesn't really bother me, just wanted to know whats up.

EDIT: oh yea, if i look like an idiot it's because rich didn't know what he was talking about either, so we're in the same boat :)

Gizm0815
12-21-2006, 10:41 PM
was ur stereo on while u were stopped and the lights were dimming? if so its just cuz there is a large draw and the alt isnt spinning fast enought to keep up with it. cuz with my system on at idle i can easilly drop into the 11v range.

pyro
12-21-2006, 11:03 PM
was ur stereo on while u were stopped and the lights were dimming? if so its just cuz there is a large draw and the alt isnt spinning fast enought to keep up with it. cuz with my system on at idle i can easilly drop into the 11v range.

It should be the amp that is behind the cap, because it wasn't pumping out anything seeing as how it was off.
I know the capacitor draws current constantly, but if there is nothing behind it then why would it affect the lights inside the car?

WeibSunder
12-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Of all of my crazy electrical problems, each and everyone one of them were my altenator's, just stick your nose near it, and if you smell a burning plastic smell, you need to get it checked.

SikMindz
12-22-2006, 12:50 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60937&highlight=high+output+alternator+dim

pyro
12-22-2006, 03:54 AM
it was happening before i got the new one, but thanks for the link, i never knew that. :thumbs:

iceman
12-22-2006, 05:47 AM
isn't there a bigass thread on this in the car audio section?? you suck at cars

lvemy3100
12-22-2006, 07:10 AM
had a similar issue with my car even after replacing battery with optima yellow top and new alt... turned out I had a bad power wire to the main fuse box.. I changed the wire with a slightly larger gauge (bought it from the zone) ever since almost seems like everything is working just as well or better than it used to...

I dont know if it was upgrading the wire or just replacing it that helped... in any case maybe it is something to look into

pyro
12-22-2006, 11:41 AM
isn't there a bigass thread on this in the car audio section?? you suck at cars
ass...where do you think i looked first?
had a similar issue with my car even after replacing battery with optima yellow top and new alt... turned out I had a bad power wire to the main fuse box.. I changed the wire with a slightly larger gauge (bought it from the zone) ever since almost seems like everything is working just as well or better than it used to...

I dont know if it was upgrading the wire or just replacing it that helped... in any case maybe it is something to look into

ill look into that