Chasing down ghosts in my new ride.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Chasing down ghosts in my new ride....

edgextreme
12-22-2006, 12:24 AM
I recently purchased a 2001 Grand Am GT 2Dr and have come to find a few suprises in the days following. The easiest to find and fix was a bad strut on the passenger side, that was no trouble. Next came the non-functional fog lights, which after tracking down the right fuse, (Hey! There's a panel on the passanger side) was actually pretty damn easy to remedy as well. Now comes the real Casper, none of the interior lights worked at first, so I replaced the blown fuse and on they came, only they were very weak, a ticking sound near the intake came to life and my batteseemed to total drain its self (wierd). The interior light fuse blew and after charging the battery, or something reseting itself, power was restored to the electrical system and I tryed replacing the fuse again with the same results.... I gave up on the interior lights at this point because I was leaving in two days for five weeks of work away from home so the last thing I wanted to do was spend the last of my precious hours dealing with this. Now 4 weeks have passed and I'm return home soon and I'll be getting to the bottom of this problem one way or another. I'm curious has a forum member had any problems similar to this one? Is there a certian spot on the chassis that I'd likely find a short in the wiring for the interior lights? If it comes down to it I'll wire up a custom LED interior setup. Thanks for any help.

ryanbgb22
12-22-2006, 09:33 AM
there is a relay next to the intake box. Try taking the bolt off and sanding down where the bracket makes contact with the body. Clean it with rubbing alcohol and then put some of the battery terminal greese on the contact point. Im not sure if this is what could be causing your problem but i do know that alot of weird electrical stuff runs through that relay.

lone_wolf025
12-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Fuses blow because of too much juice going through. Too much juice means a short somewhere. check all your switches and any wires you can.

edgextreme
12-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Fuses blow because of too much juice going through. Too much juice means a short somewhere. check all your switches and any wires you can.

Yeah... I'm aware there's a short in the system I was just looking for ideas/experiences from people on the subject that could narrow the search for the short, mainly if there is a certian place that the wires for the interior lights tend to rub on; I'd like to avoid tearing all the trim panels off the car to find it :banghead

gectek
12-23-2006, 09:32 PM
ok well lets see interior lights as in the instrument cluster, radio, hvac controls or interior lights as in overhead lamp, map lights?

edgextreme
12-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Interior lights as in overhead lamp, lights on inside of door, trunk light, glove box, and every other light that's on that circuit.

gectek
12-23-2006, 10:09 PM
ok first off do all the lights on the interior light up when you put a new fuse in. this circuit has all these on it...dome lamp/s, maplights, trunk lamp, and glove box lamp.

here is a diagram to start out...but they all have grounds in diff locations but share the same fuse.

so of course a blown fuse means short to ground so the grounds are where i would check first. if you need the ground locations for G401, G202, and G203, or splice packs 401,202,and 203(if you have them) i can get them. if one of the bulbs is not working then i would start with that circuit and work backwards from the light to the fuse on that color wire

also to rule out the BCM put ur key in the ignition and open the drivers door, if it dings then the bcm should be fine, but i dont think its bad, since there isnt more things going wrong, but just to be safe...C Y A

and there are no lights inside the door that i am aware of, just the reflectors on the doors, not even lights in the floor boards

edgextreme
12-24-2006, 07:45 PM
As soon as I get home here in a week I'll do a run down on the wiring like you've mentioned and hopefully I can figure out where it's grounding out by locating a light that's not working. I can't recall a light that didn't show any sign of connection before the fuses blew but I also didn't spend near enought time on this problem as I'm going to need to.

Thanks for the diagram and Happy Holidays!