? about lim change [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ? about lim change

ihatemygrandamg
12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I had a quick question. Is it possible to remove the lim with out removing the rear valve cover? I changed my lim gasket not too long ago and dont need to, but I want to put in a ported lim, and not having to remove the rear valve cover would make it ALOT easier. I think it might be possible being that only the top 2 valve cover bolts go into the lim, the other 2 go into the heads.

Can anyone confirm this is possible?

digitalballz
12-22-2006, 06:13 PM
I believe it is possible if your not changing the gasket. If your not changing the gasket then you wouldnt need to remove the rockers or the pushrods.

ihatemygrandamg
12-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Yea I cant see why it wouldnt work. I just replaced the gasket about 1000 miles ago so that doesnt need to be done.

AaronGTR
12-22-2006, 08:08 PM
I had a quick question. Is it possible to remove the lim with out removing the rear valve cover? I changed my lim gasket not too long ago and dont need to, but I want to put in a ported lim, and not having to remove the rear valve cover would make it ALOT easier. I think it might be possible being that only the top 2 valve cover bolts go into the lim, the other 2 go into the heads.

Can anyone confirm this is possible?

Nope. Both valve covers need to be removed. Otherwise you can't even get the LIM off. It has to do with the angle the valve covers are at and how they contact the LIM. If you look at it you'll see they overhang it. And you sure wouldn't get the valve cover gaskets to seal properly again so you'd have oil leaking all over the place. There's no short cuts to replacing the LIM. Technically you are supposed to replace the LIM gasket every time you remove and install it, even if it's been replaced before.

ihatemygrandamg
12-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Hmmm...I was thinking, would it be possible to cut the valve guides a bit so that way you wouldnt even have to remove the pushrods to change the gasket? Might be a stupid idea but was just wondeing if it would work?

Malaclypse
12-25-2006, 02:37 AM
You can replace the LIM gaskets without removing the rear valve cover, alternator bracket or alternator. I've seen it done several times without oil leaks and without any problems.

The biggest hurdle is compressing the valve springs to remove the pushrods without room to work. The fellas I work with made a special tool for this so its no big deal.

No you don't want to section the gasket as it'd completely fall apart.

As far as not removing that valve cover, I'd reccomend doing it anyways because itmakes life easier.