what mod should i get? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : what mod should i get?

flan flan
12-23-2006, 01:39 AM
i have 200 dollars i got for christmas for my car... only thing is i cant think of what to get i already have a cia and a borla exhaust no res no cat.... i wanted 2 go with performance but the only thing i can see in my budget is the dhp pcm and for 100 bucks idk if its worth it....any ideas of stuff im forgetting?

Ajaxus
12-23-2006, 01:43 AM
when we're talking bang for buck, a dhp pcm or a retune is about as good as it gets for you right now, do check the thread in here on what you can do to improve performance. i'd link you, but it's not really that hard to miss if you look at the top of the forums.

personally though i'd tell you to save the 200 and wait till you have more money then invest in something like headers or p/p uim and lim. a retune isn't that bad but this would be my personal preference in your position.

O1GAGT
12-23-2006, 01:57 AM
DHP PCM
or
62mm TB if you plan to keep the 3400 upper http://60degreev6.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=23

AaronGTR
12-23-2006, 09:05 AM
The DHP pcm is definitely worth it. Less than $200 and you will see a noticable performance increase. Just don't forget that you have to run premium gas with that though. With the money left over you could buy a high flow cat to put back in your exhaust. ;) You won't see any power decrease with your level of mods and you'll gain the fuzzy warm feeling of knowing you're being environmentally responsible with the car that you drive every day. It's not a track only race car... there's no reason to run without a cat. :rolleyes:

alerored04
12-23-2006, 11:20 AM
dhp x3, i was very happy with mine when i got it. Until a friend with powertunr made it better!

Vegeta
12-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Id save for the powertuner myself.

ihatemygrandamg
12-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Out of all my mods, my pcm was the only one that I actually really noticed. Id go with that, or if for some reason you dont want to get that then Id get an ffp pulley....if they even still make them?

drumking1721
12-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Is there at all a difference with the Milzy Upper and lower Intakes manifolds???

pyro
12-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Is there at all a difference with the Milzy Upper and lower Intakes manifolds???
one goes on top of the other. ;)
yes, obviously they are better than stock. I noticed a difference when i installed my P&P UIM and LIM.

on a side note, get the DHP PCM, its best mod for under $200.

timberwoof
12-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Hey will the power tuner help. I know you have to be able to adjust everything yourself, but if you are going to keep modding your car and eventually go high HP, you think it will be a better investment other than keep buying higher tuned PCMs? If you got confused with this question, don't worry I typed it and got confused.

pyro
12-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Hey will the power tuner help. I know you have to be able to adjust everything yourself, but if you are going to keep modding your car and eventually go high HP, you think it will be a better investment other than keep buying higher tuned PCMs? If you got confused with this question, don't worry I typed it and got confused.

if you are planning on doing more modding, powrtuner is a better investment, the only thing is there are tons of things you can change, so you would need to learn a whole new software program and go through trial and error to find what you like best, or find a program file from someone else. for the average joe, a DHP is fine. Sure the powrtuner has alot more advantages over the dhp pcm, but its not ideal for most.

gectek
12-23-2006, 06:45 PM
well ive had a few probs with my dhp pcm, i think the powertunr is better, plus you can tune more than 1 car. and with new updates 4 free and scan tool capability, its the better choice and not much more than the pcm. plus when the have the v8 software ready, itll b even better to the tuning community and you could be the hook up

timberwoof
12-23-2006, 06:47 PM
^^^HAHA good point

gectek
12-23-2006, 06:48 PM
The DHP pcm is definitely worth it. Less than $200 and you will see a noticable performance increase. Just don't forget that you have to run premium gas with that though. With the money left over you could buy a high flow cat to put back in your exhaust. ;) You won't see any power decrease with your level of mods and you'll gain the fuzzy warm feeling of knowing you're being environmentally responsible with the car that you drive every day. It's not a track only race car... there's no reason to run without a cat. :rolleyes:

ive ran reg 86 on my dhp pcm with no probs and scan tool shows no kr or anything bad, even had a 5gas on it and it said i was running 100% perfect(even with a gutted cat...lol...although the NOx was up a little not out of range even for CARB)

pyro
12-23-2006, 06:58 PM
well ive had a few probs with my dhp pcm, i think the powertunr is better, plus you can tune more than 1 car. and with new updates 4 free and scan tool capability, its the better choice and not much more than the pcm. plus when the have the v8 software ready, itll b even better to the tuning community and you could be the hook up

i did say it had alot of upsides...but how is $394.99 "not much more" than the $99 PCM? :iconfused

gectek
12-23-2006, 07:14 PM
well if you wanna keep your pcm...its always a good idea to have at least 1 spare, srry should have put if you keep your core, and you gotta pay shipping also...:)

id think about the AFPR to get a better tune also

and even though the pcm takes the top end limiter off the car...WTF has gotten theirs over 140?

this better...;)

Rich
12-23-2006, 07:31 PM
the edit button is your friend.

pyro
12-23-2006, 08:12 PM
well if you wanna keep your pcm...its always a good idea to have at least 1 spare, srry should have put if you keep your core, and you gotta pay shipping also...:)

id think about the AFPR to get a better tune also

and even though the pcm takes the top end limiter off the car...WTF has gotten theirs over 140?

this better...;)

yea, i could see how having an extra pcm is a plus, i mean i use mone alll the time :roll:

and FTR, it does more than remove the speed limiter

gectek
12-23-2006, 08:39 PM
i know that, but thats the one thing that i really havent seen a use for, at least no one i know of has gone that fast, ive dont a little faster than 100 but to save my good name i wont say how much, just put that top speed limit remover in there for a ? not so much a this is all it will do example...i have the pcm so i am well aware that it is alot diff than stock,

and the reason i keep another pcm is in case of any type of accidental loss of info while tuning, bad drivers, or any other type of electical or software mishap

srry i went and hijacked the thread...post on ill keep my .02 to myself