Head Gasket change went well, but is there a break in period? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket change went well, but is there a break in period?

jduce
12-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Just finished up the head gasket job a couple days ago and she seems to be running fine. I've been periodically checking the oil and coolant and both are nice and clean. No external leaks (that I can see). I have HOT heat again! No cylinder misfire. Basically she's back to normal.

Last 3 weeks my friend and I have replaced:

Thermostat
Spark plugs & wires
PCV Valve
Head gasket (obviously everything that goes with that, including having the heads milled)

The only things we skipped was putting those valve stem retainers in that come with the fel-pro head kit.

I changed the oil with some of that cheap Coastal Premium stuff that Autozone sells and I'm going to change it again next weekend, just to try to flush out any crap that's in there.

Question is... can I drive the car normally? My fiance and I have been babying her for the past 2 days and only took it on the expressway once.

Thanks, this forum has been a great deal of help for me!!!

digitalballz
12-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Should be fine to drive normally as long as everything was done right, which it seems to be. I say take her out and have a go at the go pedal!

Malaclypse
12-25-2006, 02:34 AM
Should be ready to romp right out of the shop.

If something's gonna break, its gonna break. No amount of babying it will prevent that so you might as well have fun.

dna_dan
01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Just finished up the head gasket job a couple days ago and she seems to be running fine. I've been periodically checking the oil and coolant and both are nice and clean. No external leaks (that I can see). I have HOT heat again! No cylinder misfire. Basically she's back to normal.

Last 3 weeks my friend and I have replaced:

Thermostat
Spark plugs & wires
PCV Valve
Head gasket (obviously everything that goes with that, including having the heads milled)

The only things we skipped was putting those valve stem retainers in that come with the fel-pro head kit.

I changed the oil with some of that cheap Coastal Premium stuff that Autozone sells and I'm going to change it again next weekend, just to try to flush out any crap that's in there.

Question is... can I drive the car normally? My fiance and I have been babying her for the past 2 days and only took it on the expressway once.

Thanks, this forum has been a great deal of help for me!!!

LOL !!!:applause: I like you had the same feeling after ripping apart my motor and putting it back together. I started thinking "what if I didn't..."

I think if it's running normal and your fluids aren't leaking, no SES light, then you are good to go!

I think the most commonly overlooked item on the LIM removal is that damn fuel rail o-ring. No fuel leaks or smell? ROCK AND ROLL!

Take this moment to be proud of your accomplishment and score one with the fiance, you just saved hundreds of dollars for busting your knuckles!

cals400ex
01-22-2007, 12:05 AM
is there any noticable performance gain by milling the heads? how much did you take or i guess how much is safe to take off?

gobraves00
01-26-2007, 09:56 PM
loss of heat is a symptom to head gaskets going bad, i just found out that mine are bad, but i haven thad heat in awhile, dang i wonder how long this been going on for then.

jduce
01-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Cals, I believe they milled .05mm off the heads. I noticed nothing in performance. I think it's just enough to make a new plane surface.

gobraves... my heat loss was explained to me as a "steam pocket" in my coolant system due to the blown head gasket. I only went with out heat for 1 week.

When I changed my head gasket the problem was in the number 2 cylinder... surely enough there was a crack in the metal ring part of the gasket. I was told by the machine shop that I caught it really early, since he's seen some gasket turn too mush before people change them.

I suggest you get wrenchin!! Its not as bad as they say. Just think about the money you'll save.