Smell of Gas and Possible Leak, but can't find [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Smell of Gas and Possible Leak, but can't find

timberwoof
12-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Well I've tried replying to a thread which had this on it, but it didn't help so I'm trying this way.

For the past 2 weeks I've had a smell of gas coming into the cab of the car after starting and at idle. A buddy of mine said to look for a fuel leak, but I haven't been able to find one. On another thread somebody said something about a the intake mani having a leak, but I don't see how if the fuel doesn't even flow through this area. I'm afraid it might be a fuel injector or rail cause I don't have the time nor money right now to take everything apart and fix.

The car has 80k on it right now, and I have to travel another 200 miles on Christmas day, then back. I'm hoping I just have to replace the filter or something. HELP!

gectek
12-24-2006, 07:26 PM
well the filter isnt even under the hood, so that should have nothing to do with it

timberwoof
12-24-2006, 07:54 PM
I was just throwing things out there......

gectek
12-24-2006, 08:16 PM
yah i didnt mean to sound like a loud mouth, just letting you know.

funny story a friend of mine(when i first bought my ga) was like ya ill change the filter for you i know all about these cars, opens the hood and looks around then points to the FPR and says i think its in there, cuz its usually by the engine and the fuel rail...oh yah did i mention this guy drove a ford

so anyway, lo and behold he is an idiot(not that you are) and im glad i do my own work now.

might be a leaky fuel rail or FPR or return hose, the easiet way to check would be to make a mark on some places that are easy to reach with a compound or something and watch and see if there are any changes in it, something like a grease pen cuz gas would def dissolve it, also if there is a big enough leak...it wont all evaporate at once, especially when you can smell it in the pass cabin. just look for wet spots, possibly under the uim or on top of the tranny

nascarnate326
12-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Fuel pressure regulator, check it.

timberwoof
12-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Where is the regulator located. I'm learning more and more about these cars each day, and haven't yet got me a damn book on. I should but haven't

gectek
12-24-2006, 09:28 PM
by throttle body, has vacuum hose hooked to the top of it and a fuel line running into the bottom. left side of tb as you face the t

nascarnate326
12-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Cant remember on Nbody. Remember it happened to a fellow JBody. I immagin its got to be a little black pice with a fuel line comming into it.

gectek
12-24-2006, 09:35 PM
not black...silver or dirt colored...depends on if you clean ur engine bay or not

timberwoof
12-24-2006, 09:55 PM
its probably dirt colored if its under my hood.
I'll have to check it when I get off work at 6am on Dec 25th

timberwoof
12-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Is this the piece you guys are talking about

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/timber_woof/HPIM0056.jpg

Is the wet spot on top the area you think the gas smell is coming from. I didn't see the spot until after I took the picture.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/timber_woof/HPIM0057.jpg

Oh yeah, and what the hell is this big piece?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p89/timber_woof/HPIM0058.jpg

gectek
12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
this pic, its cirlced

that last pic u have is the egr solenoid and evap solenoid right beside it

timberwoof
12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
So you think I need to replace the FPR? Or just do something with the hose. Man I have no idea What I'm doing on a Pontiac. Now give me a Ford and I can fix it.

pyro
12-28-2006, 05:48 PM
So you think I need to replace the FPR? Or just do something with the hose. Man I have no idea What I'm doing on a Pontiac. Now give me a Ford and I can fix it.

from what i can see it just looks like you have a loose hose...id try switching it out before you go and buy a new regulator.

timberwoof
12-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Aight I'll try that first

gectek
12-28-2006, 07:40 PM
well the hose has nothing to do with the fuel comming out of the top of it...it just applies vac and pressure to open and close the diaphragm on the fpr based on the engine manifold status, i think you may have a leaking fpr diaphragm

timberwoof
12-29-2006, 03:55 AM
How much does one of these usually cost??

gectek
12-29-2006, 01:52 PM
well u can get an adjustable one from the 60* store, just ask vegeta, they run like 106 with shipping, thats what i got mine for. the adjustable ones ive seen are a little better, because it can give you better pressures and more control over stock pressure, ive seen just an afpr(adjustable fuel pressure regulator) increase stock hp and torque about 3hp and 5tq and broaden the curves on both over the rpm band, i havent put mine on yet, but it is a good thought when going for higher tunability

timberwoof
12-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Okay but then if i get an adjustable one, I would need to know how to tune it. And it would be my luck I would grenade the engine before I figured it out.

gectek
12-29-2006, 04:57 PM
ok well here is a good starting point. the stock fuel pressure is around 42 psi i think. buy a GOOD fuel gauge and hook it up to the press tap/schrader vavle on the fuel rail. then start turning the set screw in the middle to get it to about 42...but i heard that perf is better at 46-48. when u check the press, make sure you cap off the vacuum line that goes into the top of the frp(for tuning purposes) and leave it like that. you are trying to simulate WOT conditions and no vac on the fpr...ie no line from the intake, then you can tune it for that, and itll also compensate for the idle press as well by making it a little higher also. when you get to a good pressure then tighten the lock nut on the set screw and then turn the engine off. attach the vac line to the top of the regulator and triple check for leaks. then take a test drive

to get max power it would take a dyno and then tune the afpr from there, but i think that 44-48 is a better range. if i am wrong on the press then maybe someone can give the right specs. i havent measured mine yet, i know i should. it wouldnt matter if you tested yours because the diaphragm is prob already messed up and wouldnt give a good reading.

the key on engine off press is between 52-59 is the published spec, but i dont know at idle or WOT, but the easiest way to test is to test it on a friends ga and see what it is

pyro
12-29-2006, 11:06 PM
i would just stick with a stock one...if youre not gonna be tuning it or plan on buying tuning software dont waste your time. why risk running into more issues if you screw it up?

gectek
12-30-2006, 01:14 AM
well i made it sound more complicated because i added the tunability to it. if you get the stock pressure, just set at that or whatever else you want a few above that to test and see what you like. the better points of the adujstable one is the fact that you can help flow on both idle and WOT

timberwoof
02-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Well I'm finally getting the part for the GA and wondering if there is a HOW TO somewhere around here.

gectek
02-01-2007, 10:54 PM
just bleed fuel pressure, take off vacuum hose, i think it takes a t25/27 or 30 torx to take the screw out that holds it on the bracket, take the fuel line off the bottom of the FPR, remove old one then get a new o ring, use vaseline and install it, and reconnect the vacuum hose, prime syst before starting

timberwoof
02-02-2007, 06:25 AM
thanks