Another proud GT owner [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Another proud GT owner

mattamd_xp
01-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I just started modding my 2000 GT. I purchased it this summer for transportation back and forth to work (I drive an hour one way) and I wanted something fast and practical. It's the sedan in silvermist metallic with a charcoal grey interior. The car is wicked sweet -now for the mods I've done so far:
Just started painting the interior trim (I'll post pics when I get them)
custom mesh grill inserts painted sail blue (to match the interior trim)
Still have a lot that I want to do to it to get it where I want it to be -a nice mix between fast and reliable with just enough show to let people know it's not stock

ryanbgb22
01-04-2007, 08:25 PM
welcome, how many miles you got on it?

mattamd_xp
01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
just clicked over 80,000 I put 6,000 of those on between July and August driving back and forth to work everything on the car works like its brand new. I just purchased the car from a friend who owns a bodyshop -the car had some sheetmetal damage on the back driverside door. He went through everything mechanically. I've had tons of car modding experience with my dad who builds hotrods and I have a good deal of mechanical and fabrication knowledge so I have a good base to start turning this car into what what should be quite the ricer killer.

Rich
01-04-2007, 10:58 PM
welcome. what do you have planned?

LoboMan7409
01-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Stock GT's are ricer killers, even if the ricer is modded they are generally ricer killers

mattamd_xp
01-05-2007, 09:35 PM
I have already toasted a few imports in my city but I want to do it even better :driving:
I plan on making a stainless steel cai for the car and possibly a stainless exhaust -I have access to a mig welder with stainless welding capabilities :)
I'm doing some interior mods, nothing major but possibly some new door panels and some embroidery on the upholstery the interior trim is already painted
Exterior:
debadging the thing
custom blue accents to match the grill inserts I made
tint the windows
clear the taillights (if I won't get stopped for it here in Mass)
Clear the headlights and add amber reflectors in the airdam
Covering the A/B post exterior either body color or the accent blue
Possibly new side skirts if I can find or make ones that I like
Paint the calipers
Clean up the engine compartment and paint it w/accents in blue
Performance/Suspension
Just did the brakes with performance discs and ceramic pads
strut towers front and rear
new wheels/tires once I can afford them
62mm TB
ported and polished UIM and LIM
180* Thermostat
New fan turn on temp
Thats all the ones I can think of off the top of my head right now -I know there will be many more than that eventually :doh:

pyro
01-05-2007, 09:42 PM
clear the taillights (if I won't get stopped for it here in Mass)
Clear the headlights and add amber reflectors in the airdam
185* Thermostat
1. you should be fine...the reflectors stay when you clear them, but i would go with TYC's instead
clear gt's < TYC's x100
2. You cant clear the headlights...look on ebay for the clear reflectored headlights. :drool:
3. you mean 180*?

mattamd_xp
01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
yeah that should be 180* (fixed now)
It appears that the reflector in the headlight is the same type as the ones in the tails so it should come out the same way. (they are harder to take apart though)
The TYC's are a little to import looking for my taste and I'll probably make LEC clusters to replace the bulbs for the tails and just use reg red bulbs for the turn signals

pyro
01-05-2007, 10:19 PM
yeah that should be 180* (fixed now)
It appears that the reflector in the headlight is the same type as the ones in the tails so it should come out the same way. (they are harder to take apart though)
The TYC's are a little to import looking for my taste and I'll probably make LEC clusters to replace the bulbs for the tails and just use reg red bulbs for the turn signals

the headlight reflectors dont come off of the lense, nor do the tail reflectors, only the red filters inside the tails.

mattamd_xp
01-05-2007, 10:24 PM
The red filters come off fine in the back and I'm still deciding either to go clear lenses or create custom covers for the reflectors in the front

pyro
01-05-2007, 10:34 PM
alot of folks just do vinyl overlays

Rich
01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
you could get the clear covers and put them over the back part of the headlights:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53542&highlight=clear+corners

Ajaxus
01-05-2007, 11:00 PM
I have already toasted a few imports in my city but I want to do it even better :driving:

Not street racing I hope... ;crap (tracks ftw)

Anyways, welcome to the site, have fun with the car, and good luck modding. :)

mattamd_xp
01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
not racing -just in accelerating to the speed limit (or close to it) I have no desire to lose my license
There is no law against how fast you get to the speed limit as long as you don't peel out and you remain in control of the vehicle at all times

Ajaxus
01-05-2007, 11:33 PM
uh, maybe. somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but the laws against street races don't mention exceeding the speedlimit..i believe if it can be considered a race, it is illegal. i could be wrong ofcourse..

LoboMan7409
01-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Out here as long as you dont break traction and dont go over the speed limit then there is no violation

Ajaxus
01-05-2007, 11:50 PM
always good to know

DrFabulous
01-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Welcome

mattamd_xp
01-06-2007, 08:17 PM
here are some pics of the car and what I've done to it so far -The interior is still in the process of having the trim painted

Rich
01-06-2007, 08:23 PM
ouch. owned by SE wheels. not feeling the blue grills so much, but the interior is nice. decent start :thumbs:

DrFabulous
01-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Word on the SE wheels.

I used to have my interior painted just like yours, only a darker blue. It got REALLY annoying after a year or so....

godenbrncs
01-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah my painted interior on my first GAGT was neat at first, but then got super irritating. I loved having a fresh clean interior when I got my current one. It looks good in the blue though. Welcome!

'01GT
01-07-2007, 02:36 PM
*welcome*

mattamd_xp
01-07-2007, 08:31 PM
I thought at first that the painted interior would get annoying but I decided to go for it anyway and I really like it -if I don't like it in a year or two I'll just get trim off another car and install that
I want to get new rims and tires for the car ASAP but I'm in college right now paying my way so those might have to wait :(
Tomorrow I'm installing a bulldog remote start (I love Christmas)
I'm also now in the process of fabricating a flip trunk hinge setup that won't leak that I can switch back and forth to a regular lift -I'll show pics of that when I'm done -it'll probably take awhile to figure out all the dementions and angles I'll need to make sure it seals as good as the original

pyro
01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
just cut a hole through the arm/truck and run a bolt through it. easy as pie

mattamd_xp
01-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I want it to be able to open normally as well if I should want it to and cutting a hole isn't very reversable
I've got everything that I need except for a couple of bolts to change where the trunk hinges attach to the deck lid and then I can give it a shot and see how it comes out
I'm also ordering a Chrome Intake for it today off ebay (probably the 3 pc kit cuz it looks/functions better)