humming sound while in motion [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : humming sound while in motion

archillasvante
01-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I've noticed a sound that has grown in intensity over the past couple of days. It is a humming or whirring sound that increases as the speed of the car increases moving forward. I cannot see anything that looks like it could be rubbing, but am going to take a closer look later this morning.

has anyone experienced something like this? what things should i be looking out for?

Ajaxus
01-07-2007, 10:30 AM
brakes and suspension are the first things that come to mind, im sure someone else will chip in.

have you noticed it coming from a particular area on the car?

CoopGT
01-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Maybe a hub bearing .

archillasvante
01-07-2007, 10:49 AM
brakes and suspension are the first things that come to mind, im sure someone else will chip in.

have you noticed it coming from a particular area on the car?

It seems to be coming from the front of the car. I just went outside and took a look around and nothing seems like it could be rubbing. I noticed last night too that when I make slight right turns where the car tilts slightly (such as on the highway) the sound disappears.

Tires could also be the culprit, as they tend to sing a little more when it is cold out, but I don't think that is my problem.

I know my rotors are a little warped, but I seriously doubt that is what is making the sound as I've never heard anything from my rotors the last time they had warping.

DrFabulous
01-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Maybe a hub bearing .

archillasvante
01-07-2007, 12:31 PM

i'm slow... does that dot (period) mean 'period' as in thats what you believe it is?

tomh
01-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I noticed last night too that when I make slight right turns where the car tilts slightly (such as on the highway) the sound disappears.

you said it yourself.. thats the *&(&^&(*^ wheel hub bearing trust me.. im on my 100th one.. lol if you turn the wheel 1 way the sound should totally stop.. and if you turn it the other way it should get louder. they are about $270+ at the GM dealer, about $140 for a GM one on ebay... and about $35-$50ish used at a junkyard. the place where i take mine to get it put on costs me $40

tomh
01-07-2007, 12:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRAND-AM-MALIBU-WHEEL-HUB-ASSEMBLY-97-98-99-00-01-02_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33728QQihZ004QQitemZ 140060380852QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

thats a GM one in the picture.. i would acutally buy it for myself (my abs sensor is bad again) but i dont have that kind of $ right now

normally i have been buying my gm hubs from texas-auto-parts

RedGrandTour
01-07-2007, 01:45 PM
I would say Hub bearing or a caliper not releasing. My 99 went thru two Hubs and one caliper. The caliper made a different sound than the hub bearing. The hub made a clunking/knocking sound.

archillasvante
01-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I would say Hub bearing or a caliper not releasing. My 99 went thru two Hubs and one caliper. The caliper made a different sound than the hub bearing. The hub made a clunking/knocking sound.

now that you say that i wonder about the caliper as well. my brakes do seem a lot more stiff since the sound appeared.

i'll just jack up the car when i get a chance (hopefully tomorrow) and check for the looseness in the wheel, and take a look at the brakes.

gectek
01-07-2007, 03:10 PM
the brakes arent going to be affected by the steering, ie turing the steering wheel one way and the sound goes away, keep it straight or turn the other way and the sound stays or gets worse.

if you turn left and the sound goes away then its the left bearing, if you turn right then its the right, i think it just takes 3 bolts from the back of the hub, the half shaft nut and viola, its off. just make sure you have good tools, an impact will do it good.

maybe there is a how to on here somewhere just do a search

tomh
01-07-2007, 03:34 PM
the brakes arent going to be affected by the steering, ie turing the steering wheel one way and the sound goes away, keep it straight or turn the other way and the sound stays or gets worse.

if you turn left and the sound goes away then its the left bearing, if you turn right then its the right, i think it just takes 3 bolts from the back of the hub, the half shaft nut and viola, its off. just make sure you have good tools, an impact will do it good.

maybe there is a how to on here somewhere just do a search

:stupid: exactly what he said. oh and its a bitch to get the hub off, hence why i just pay to get it done.

there is a how to on the site of how to change the hub if you really do want to do it.. also you need to find a DEEP 36mm socket the craftsman one I got was only just deep enough to get the 1 side off, and not the other.

gectek
01-07-2007, 03:38 PM
yah impacts and wobbles work wonders, but dont use an impact to put it back on, but you can use it on the wheel nut, since the torque spec is like 284 ft lbs, the 3 bolts are only like 74 foot lbs

polo77
01-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Yup mine does that exact same thing and it would be a hub bearing

archillasvante
01-08-2007, 06:57 AM
thanks for your help folks...

bwwelk
04-04-2007, 04:07 PM
on my g/a within the last week while driving on a straight road one of the wheel bearings are humming pretty good , when you go aroung a corner that you have to steer to the left it gets really loud and when you go around turn to ritght it gets quiter ,, anyone know if this is pass. side or drivers. . Several people ive asked said drivers but i was just wondering what you all would say...

gectek
04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
who the hell told u drivers side, lets think about differential action for a minute. when u turn left, the left wheel stops and the right wheel speeds up, and when you turn right the opposite happens. so if you turn right and it stops making noise then it is the pass side

polo77
04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
yup that was the one for me did the same exact thing urs is except i think i got another going out lights are back on

bwwelk
04-04-2007, 07:18 PM
who the hell told u drivers side, lets think about differential action for a minute. when u turn left, the left wheel stops and the right wheel speeds up, and when you turn right the opposite happens. so if you turn right and it stops making noise then it is the pass side

Ive called several auto part stores and they told me that ... I was thinkin that it would be pass.also but when i jacked up the car the pass . side had no play whatsover and the drivers side wheel had play. so this also has me confused.. But like you said going around a corner if it gets louder when i make a left corner , the weight would shift to the pass. side thus make the pass. bearing hum louder.. Also would this be why i have several lights on in my dash? Abs , trac. service vehicle soon??

tenspeed
04-04-2007, 08:29 PM

I believe that when you turn, weight is shifted to the outside bearing. The increased weight make the bad bearing noisier. The rest applies. When you turn right, the weight shifts to the left front wheel and the noise quiets. It's a bad passenger side bearing.

gectek
04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
well that is prob true as well, and also when u turn the inside wheel will almost stop, so if the noise stops then it is the wheel that stops

gectek
04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Ive called several auto part stores and they told me that ... I was thinkin that it would be pass.also but when i jacked up the car the pass . side had no play whatsover and the drivers side wheel had play. so this also has me confused.. But like you said going around a corner if it gets louder when i make a left corner , the weight would shift to the pass. side thus make the pass. bearing hum louder.. Also would this be why i have several lights on in my dash? Abs , trac. service vehicle soon??

also that is correct itll cause all of those to be on yes

outlaw01
04-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I had the same thing with my 2000 GAGT about a year or 2 ago, it was my pass side hub bearing. If u do it urself, make sure u have a rubber mallot or some sort of hammer that u can beat on the hub itself with, cus it wont just come off, i had to pound on mine like hell for about 5-10 minutes before it came off, good thing i replaced it when i did tho too, cus when the hub came off and out, it came out in 2-3 pieces, but ya, its definetely a hub. Got mine from checkers here in my town for 140.

ramairgt19
04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
what damage could you cause if its the hub bearing? is it bad to drive should you fix it asap....

outlaw01
04-05-2007, 02:07 PM
what damage could you cause if its the hub bearing? is it bad to drive should you fix it asap....

Ahh, ya ushould get it fixed A.S.A.P., or u could loose the tire and everything, ud be goin down the road and all of a sudden ur tire falls off and passes u up, not good.

gectek
04-05-2007, 04:44 PM
well the wheel bearing can sieze in the bore and cause lock up, not good

tenspeed
04-05-2007, 09:18 PM

You have time. It really has to howl and the car will pull to one side before it seizes. I drove from NY to Florida with a noisy bearing. It was under warranty and I had it changed when I got back to NY.