Compressor Clutch noise? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Clutch noise?

blk_grn_97GT
01-07-2007, 02:06 PM
was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the compressor clutch making a nasty grinding noise when not engaged but stops when engaged? also wondering how difficult changing the clutch would be or just removing the compressor since i already evacuated the system. some input would be nice, money is slim, its on a 1997 gagt 3.1 with 221,500 miles on it.

gectek
01-07-2007, 02:15 PM
id do the entire compressor, but i dont like buying reman compressors, new is better IMO.

tomh
01-07-2007, 02:43 PM
not sure about the 97 ga, but on my dads 96 Olds, he couldnt just change the clutch, he had to change the entire compressor, it wasnt to bad of a job on his 3.1 he swapped the compressor in about an hour

XtremeGaGt00
01-07-2007, 03:05 PM
lol, this is funny...on my 2000 gt, mine was making that noise too..i dont use the ac anyways...i took the whole system out, i had a oil squirt gun and squirted the clutch and it never made any more noise, but for you id think thats a just a temporary fix since you want the ac system..just what i did to mine...

blk_grn_97GT
01-16-2007, 06:09 PM
actually i don't want the A/C, i never use it and i have actually been trying to figure out how i was going to get some kind of lubricant down to it with out taking off the wheel and stuff(like its that difficult or time consuming, just lazy) but i like the squirt gun idea, would WD40 work good enough or what did you use?
thanks, also if i am too lazy to take the wheel off i guarantee i won't take off the compressor, good thing it doesn't make the noise with the clutch engaged YET
c-ya

gectek
01-16-2007, 07:37 PM
well the only prob is, when that compressor gets galded enough and runs on metal to metal then the compressor can sieze and thats another world full of probs

tenspeed
01-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I found that you can buy bearings and A/C clutches at www.rockauto.com

You can get a squirting oil can at the auto parts place. I don't think WD40 will last too long.

rocketfast123
01-17-2007, 12:30 AM
I had a oil squirt gun and squirted the clutch and it never made any more noise, but for you id think thats a just a temporary fix since you want the ac system..just what i did to mine...

It lasted a few mouths when I did that to my wagon.

Cyclonus
03-21-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm having this same problem with my 2001 Grand Am GT (61,571 miles). I get a grinding noise whenever the air conditioner is off, but not when it is on. My question is, since I just moved to Florida, I am in fact going to need the air conditioner, yet I am not exactly in the greatest financial position right now. So, while I imagine turning off the air conditioner and letting it grind would not be the best idea... I'm wondering, if I leave it on, would that still cause damage? I know I will eventually have to get it fixed, but if I could delay that for 2 - 3 months, that would be cool. My knowledge of this is admittedly limited, so any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

gectek
03-21-2008, 08:02 PM
alternately you can just replace what they call the clutch coil assembly, it consists of the clutch coil, bearings and pulley assy...its alot cheaper than the entire ac comp and you dont have to open the system to do it, just need a good metric set of sockets, and maybe an ac clutch hub puller/installer, but those arent much either, i can get you some murray numbers tomorrow for those parts if you need them...

skydive120
11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
If you could get the numbers- especially that on the puller it would be appreciated, mine just started doing this a few days ag. A shot of PB blaster quited it down but its just a matter of time.
Can get the clutch assy. from Orileys for 75 bucks.

Thanks-

Chris

gectek
11-12-2008, 07:35 AM
They actually sell them as a rental tool set now. Just go inside and look at the place mats for the ever tough tools or something like that. It is their rental tools. That way you can get your money back.