Won't Start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start

Baundy06
01-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I was heading back to college today when i stopped at a gas station to fill up. Upon returning to my car the following happened.

I put the key in the ignition, turned it, and nothing happened. When I say nothing I mean that the radio came on and off as normal, the doors locked and stuff, the fuel pump "pumped" and the engine clicked (I assume it was the starter or something). But the engine didn't start or even turn over. While the key was turned and every time I did it after all of the lights on the dash went out except the Service Engine Soon light.

I tried waiting for 15, 20, 30 minutes intervals to see if it was a security problem but it didn't work. Any ideas?

Baundy06
01-07-2007, 08:27 PM
BTW my car is still sitting at the gas station overnight (with permission from the manager) to be towed tomorrow so as soon as anyone can help I would appreciate it.

frmtheash
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
TRY THIS.

Turn your key to the "on" setting. leave it there for 10 mintues. during the 10 mintues, Look in your dashboard. there should be a security light flashing on and off. If thats the case, your car is fine, just going to be a pain in the ass in the while. After the 10 mintues, turn the key to the "off" setting, and try starting it again

Sprucegagt
01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
TRY THIS.

Turn your key to the "on" setting. leave it there for 10 mintues. during the 10 mintues, Look in your dashboard. there should be a security light flashing on and off. If thats the case, your car is fine, just going to be a pain in the ass in the while. After the 10 mintues, turn the key to the "off" setting, and try starting it again

Uumm. He just said he let it sit for 15 minutes trying to reset the security feature and it didn't work. Plus the security light isn't flashing. ;crap

Now what this sounds like to me is a loose or dirty battery cable. Unless you have been noticing your car being harder and harder to start. If so, then you have a bad battery, due to a weak cell in the battery.

jackal2000
01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Uumm. He just said he let it sit for 15 minutes trying to reset the security feature and it didn't work. Plus the security light isn't flashing. ;crap .

he didnt say he left the key in the "on" position though.

does your battery light turn on?

nascarnate326
01-08-2007, 08:52 AM
he didnt say he left the key in the "on" position though.

i dont think the key has to be in the "on" postion. Just waiting time with out doing anything always worked for me.

Check fuses, battery stuff, air cleaner. Just check EVERYTHING. Otherwise, i dont know.

timberwoof
01-08-2007, 09:55 AM
battery

Dave Carney
01-08-2007, 10:31 AM
battery

frmtheash
01-09-2007, 09:25 PM
whatever is the case, im curious on what it is

lone_wolf025
01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Check the batt voltage and go from there. If the voltage is fine try turning on your headlamps and see if they go out completely. If they do you probably got a bad starter (its drawing so much current trying to move the lights go out).

fat_albert
01-10-2007, 05:40 AM
If it made a clicking sound its the battery

Baundy06
01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
It was the battery. It wasn't dead but it is just really old. I bought the car a couple years ago and I guess the battery had never been replaced because they told me it looked like the original. They said it wasn't holding hardly any charge anymore so for some reason that set off the security feature and wouldn't allow it to start. Easy fix, just a new battery, and normally the "on" position for 10 minutes thing would probably work but from the sounds of it my battery was the main problem here. Thanks for the help, later.