Starting problems... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems...

hallows-eve
01-07-2007, 11:33 PM
...So, this is now the second time this scenario has played out on me.

I get in the car, and attempt to start it. Nothing. Battery is fine, cell has water. Everything else comes on, ie. lights, stereo, etc, etc... So, I check out the dashboard, and yes, the security light is flashing.

BOTH the first time, and now tonight (The Second Time) leaving the car alone for around 10-15 minutes allows me to start up no problem.

So, Security function/****edtion?

OR, I had a guy suggest it could be my TPC? J.I.C, I've got a spray can of starting fluid on-hand now. I'm also buying a new air filter (I can stand to buy a new one, regardless) to see if this will play on the TPC problem.

Uh, thanks for any and all help =]]
-Ryan.

fat_albert
01-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Do NOT use starting fluid, it is designed only for carbureted engines. What did you do the first time you had this problem?

hallows-eve
01-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Waited around, and it worked within ten minutes.

I'm guessing this is a Security Feature Lock-Out.

Dave Carney
01-11-2007, 12:17 PM
1) Disassemble lock cylinder and clean out the extra grease that migrates into it.
2) Lighten up your key chain if you have alot of weight there.

If that doesn't work then you can do that permanent security bypass by cutting the yellow wire behind the stereo while the car is running. Your security light will stay on however...could cover with black electrical tape.

coupe
01-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Your ignition cylinder is toaste, you have to replace it.

Ive been dealing with this for 3 years, im just lazy and havent fixed it yet.

SikMindz
01-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Your ignition cylinder is toaste, you have to replace it.

Ive been dealing with this for 3 years, im just lazy and havent fixed it yet.

Werd.

I've got a permanent security light on now after goign through the same problems you had experienced on and off for the first few years. Now I have no issue getting the car started. :angel Didn't even have to cut any wires! :applause:

Ajaxus
01-11-2007, 01:11 PM
sounds better than my starting problem, and like coupe im too lazy to fix my problem. :(

coupe
01-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Werd.

I've got a permanent security light on now after goign through the same problems you had experienced on and off for the first few years. Now I have no issue getting the car started. :angel Didn't even have to cut any wires! :applause:

Thats basicly what i was hopeing would happen with mine.

Dave Carney
01-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Yes, if the problem (real or perceived) presents while the car is already running then you get the permanent security light and you are in bypass mode. If the problem presents while starting, then you have to wait the 10 minutes and then it will start and you will not be in bypass mode, and it will happen again.....

hallows-eve
01-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Its only happened twice in the now two years since I've owned the car. The first time popped up a few months ago.

No weight on the key chain... Hell, I don't have the original key.

I believe the ignition cylinder schpew... Car used to be a rental, and had one previous owner to me as well.

Piece of sh!t.

=]

Appreciate the help.

pyro
01-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Its only happened twice in the now two years since I've owned the car. The first time popped up a few months ago.

No weight on the key chain... Hell, I don't have the original key.

I believe the ignition cylinder schpew... Car used to be a rental, and had one previous owner to me as well.

Piece of sh!t.

=]

Appreciate the help.

weird, it could be the key...i have a copy of my sisters cavi key and even though it will work fine, whenever i use it in the doors, it sets the alarm off and sometimes wont start it.

hallows-eve
01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Could very well be... Maybe the key has taken its toll, and the teeth are messed up?

I've got a spare I had to get cut, maybe I'll try to use it next time this happens.

canadian_racer
01-14-2007, 02:39 PM
1) Disassemble lock cylinder and clean out the extra grease that migrates into it.
2) Lighten up your key chain if you have alot of weight there.

If that doesn't work then you can do that permanent security bypass by cutting the yellow wire behind the stereo while the car is running. Your security light will stay on however...could cover with black electrical tape.

The yellow wire behind the stereo is the 12v constant power supply to the head unit, if you cut that its not gonna work.