Time to change head gaskets [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Time to change head gaskets

Chevylover54
01-08-2007, 08:29 AM
It's time for me to change the head gaskets in my 01 GT. I did the LIM's already so I can get down that far no problem. I realize that I need to keep the push rods in the same locations, are there any other issues between the LIM's and the heads that I should be on the look out for?

jduce
01-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, a few weeks ago was the first time I changed head gaskets in my GAGT and in any car for that matter and everything is fine... I've driven 450 miles since the change.

After the LIM the only things left to do are to remove the exhaust heat sheilds and front/rear manifolds, then remove the heads. Take them to a machine shop to get them milled. I was told that there is a manifold stud that commonly breaks in the head that they should remove and replace, which was very true in my case.

I didn't chance putting the same head bolts back in so I paid the 26 bucks to get a new set. The job cost me approximately $400.00 to do.

I rented an Autozone torque wrench for the head bolts that worked well (if you don't have a good one that measures ftlbs)

I was able to get the rear cylinder head off by just removing the rear manifold bolts. The Haynes manual says to remove the exhaust pipe too, I didn't see any need to.

I drained my coolant the common way, by just removing the drain **** from the radiator. That didn't drain the coolant from the block though, but I've read that there is a coolant drain on the block (which I couldn't find) that you might be interested in finding.

Those things come to mind as things to look for, but I am by no means an expert.

Good luck!!!

PS: It took me and a friend about 4 days to complete.